Sources of Exchange Rate and Price Level Fluctuations in Two Commodity Exporting Countries: Australia and New Zealand
AbstractDynamic interactions between the exchange rate, domestic price level, and terms of trade of Australia and New Zealand, relative to the United States, are evaluated. Under the restriction that a nominal shock has no long-run effect on the relative terms of trade, real shocks dominate nominal shocks in accounting for fluctuations in real and nominal exchange rates. For Australia, real shocks that improve the relative terms of trade have a negligible effect on the domestic price level relative to that of the United States but, for New Zealand, there is a significant permanent increase in the relative domestic price level. Copyright 1996 by The Economic Society of Australia.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Economic Society of Australia in its journal The Economic Record.
Volume (Year): 72 (1996)
Issue (Month): 219 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0249
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Renee Fry, 2006.
"Commodity Currencies and Currency Commodities,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
06-17, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Valadkhani, Abbas & Layton, Allan P. & Karunaratne, Neil D., 2005. "Export Price Volatility in Australia: An Application of ARCH and GARCH Models," Economics Working Papers wp05-11, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Prof. Neil D. Karunaratne, 2002. "Microeconomic Shocks, Depreciation and Inflation: an Australian Perspective," Discussion Papers Series 298, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Robert A Buckle & Kunhong Kim & Julie Tam, 2001.
"A Structural VAR Approach to Estimating Budget Balance Targets,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
01/11, New Zealand Treasury.
- Robert Buckle & Kunhong Kim & Julie Tam, 2002. "A structural var approach to estimating budget balance targets," New Zealand Economic Papers, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(2), pages 149-175.
- Frank Smets, 1997.
"Financial-asset Prices and Monetary Policy: Theory and Evidence,"
RBA Annual Conference Volume,
in: Philip Lowe (ed.), Monetary Policy and Inflation Targeting
Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Smets, Frank, 1997. "Financial Asset Prices and Monetary Policy: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1751, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Frank Smets, 1997. "Financial asset prices and monetary policy: theory and evidence," BIS Working Papers 47, Bank for International Settlements.
- A.F.M. Kamrul Hassan & Ruhul A. Salim, 2011. "Is there any Link Between Commodity Price and Monetary Policy? Evidence from Australia," Economic Analysis and Policy (EAP), Queensland University of Technology (QUT), School of Economics and Finance, vol. 41(3), pages 205-216, December.
- Leu, Shawn, 2004. "A New Keynesian Perspective of Monetary Policy Implementation in Austr alia," Working Papers 1, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Dungey, Mardi & Pagan, Adrian, 2000. "A Structural VAR Model of the Australian Economy," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 76(235), pages 321-42, December.
- Shawn Chen-Yu Leu, 2006.
"A New Keynesian Perspective of Monetary Policy in Australia,"
2006.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Shawn Chen-Yu Leu, 2006. "A New Keynesian Perspective of Monetary Policy in Australia," Working Papers 2006.01, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Leu, Shawn Chen-Yu, 2011.
"A New Keynesian SVAR model of the Australian economy,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 157-168, January.
- Leu, Shawn Chen-Yu, 2011. "A New Keynesian SVAR model of the Australian economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 157-168.
- Dimitris Hatzinikolaou & Metodey Polasek, 2005. "The commodity-currency view of the Australian dollar: A multivariate cointegration approach," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 81-99, May.
- Swift, Robyn, 2004. "Exchange rate changes and endogenous terms of trade effects in a small open economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 737-745, December.
- Haluk Erlat & Guzin Erlat, 1998. "Permanent and transitory shocks on real and nominal exchange rates in Turkey during the post-1980 period," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 26(4), pages 379-396, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.