An Evaluation of Income Splitting with Variable Female Labour Supply
AbstractDebate on the tax unit in Australia often involves claims that a system which allows spouses to split their incomes for the purposes of taxation is superior to an individual based system. In this paper we estimate a female labour supply model on data for married couples and use it to simulate the effects of a switch from the 1985/ 86 progressive individual personal income tax system to one allowing full income splitting. We analyze distributional outcomes and, at least as far as female labour supply is concerned, change in the excess burden of the tax system. The impacts depend upon the way in which the policy is made revenue neutral. We consider two tax replacement scenarios. We quantify the impact on female hours of work and investigate how welfare impacts vary by household characteristics. Copyright 1996 by The Economic Society of Australia.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The Economic Society of Australia in its journal The Economic Record.
Volume (Year): 72 (1996)
Issue (Month): 218 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Central Council Administration, L.P.O. Box 2161, Hawthorn VIC 3122
Phone: 61 3 9497 4140
Fax: 61 3 9497 4140
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0249
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert Breunig & Deborah A. Cobb-Clark & Xiaodong Gong, 2008.
"Improving the Modelling of Couples' Labour Supply,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 466-485, December.
- Breunig, Robert & Cobb-Clark, Deborah A. & Gong, Xiaodong, 2005. "Improving the Modeling of Couples' Labour Supply," IZA Discussion Papers 1773, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Breunig & Deborah Cobb-Clark & Xiaodong Gong, 2005. "Improving the Modeling of Couples' Labour Supply," CEPR Discussion Papers 499, Centre for Economic Policy Research, Research School of Economics, Australian National University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.