The Political Economy Of European Monetary Unification: An Analytical Introduction
AbstractEuropean monetary unification (EMU) - the creation of a single European currency and a European Central Bank - is both an economic and a political phenomenon. Yet few studies have attempted to address simultaneously the political and economic dimensions of the process. In this introduction, we review and extend the relevant literatures. The evidence leads us to conclude that EMU is driven mainly by political rather than economic factors, although our understanding of even these political forces remains incomplete. Copyright 1993 Blackwell Publishers Ltd..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Economics & Politics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0954-1985
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Beetsma, Roel & Bovenberg, A Lans, 1995.
"Designing Fiscal and Monetary Institutions for a European Monetary Union,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1303, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beetsma, Roel M W J & Bovenberg, A Lans, 2000. " Designing Fiscal and Monetary Institutions for a European Monetary Union," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 102(3-4), pages 247-69, March.
- Beetsma, R.M.W.J. & Bovenberg, A.L., 1995. "Designing fiscal and monetary institutions for a European Monetary Union," Discussion Paper 1995-58, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Beetsma,Roel M.W.J. & Bovenberg,A. Lans, 1996. "Designing fiscal and monetary institutions for a European Monetary Union," Research Memoranda 004, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Lars Jonung, 2004.
"To be or not to be in the euro? Benefits and costs of monetary unification as perceived by voters in the Swedish euro referendum 2003,"
European Economy - Economic Papers
205, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jonung, Lars, 2004. "To be or not to be in the euro? Benefits and costs of monetary unification as perceived by voters in the Swedish euro referendum 2003," MPRA Paper 1334, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kelly, John, 2003. "The Irish Pound: From Origins to EMU," Quarterly Bulletin Articles, Central Bank of Ireland, pages 89-115, March.
- Hans GrÃ¼ner & Carsten Hefeker, 1996. "Bank cooperation and banking policy in a monetary union: A political-economy perspective on EMU," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 183-198, July.
- Weimann, Marco, 2002. "OCA theory and EMU eastern enlargement: An empirical application," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 07/02, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Lossani Marco & Natale Piergiovanna & Tirelli Patrizio, 1999.
"Disegno delle istituzioni e stabilità finanziaria nell'Unione Monetaria Europea,"
Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 243-270.
- Lossani, Marco & Natale, Piergiovanna & Tirelli, Patrizio, 1999.
"Disegno delle istituzioni e stabilità finanziaria nell'Unione Monetaria Europea
[Istitutional design and financial stability in EMU]," MPRA Paper 18692, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lossani, Marco & Natale, Piergiovanna & Tirelli, Patrizio, 1999. "Disegno delle istituzioni e stabilità finanziaria nell'Unione Monetaria Europea
- George Tavlas, 1994. "The theory of monetary integration," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(2), pages 211-230, March.
- Michael D. Bordo & Lars Jonung, 1999. "The Future of EMU: What Does the History of Monetary Unions Tell Us?," NBER Working Papers 7365, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Antoni Estevadeordal, 2009. "Trade Policy and Specialization," IDB Publications 9289, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kwanho Shin & Yunjong Wang, 2003. "Monetary Integration Ahead of Trade Integration in East Asia?," ISER Discussion Paper 0572, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.