Employment and Output Adjustment in the OECD: A Disaggregate Analysis of the Role of Job Security Provisions
AbstractJob security provisions are frequently cited as inhibiting the functioning of labour markets in Europe. However, as with many forms of non-price regulation, it is difficult to assess how tightly these regulations bind and influence labour market outcomes. We use an industry-country panel of OECD countries over 20 years to estimate adjustment paths for employment and output conditional on wages, the capital stock and exchange rates. We find that job security provisions are correlated with the speed of adjustment of employment and output (restrictive legislation slowing adjustment down), and that controlling for industry effects is important in isolating this effect. Copyright 2000 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 67 (2000)
Issue (Month): 267 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Inklaar, Robert & Timmer, Marcel P., 2006. "Resurgence of employment growth in the European Union: The role of cycles and labour market reforms," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 61-66, April.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin N. Cowan & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004.
"Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1480, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jun 2010.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Cowan, Kevin N. & Engel, Eduardo M.R.A. & Micco, Alejandro, 2013. "Effective labor regulation and microeconomic flexibility," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 92-104.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin N. Cowan & Eduardo M. R. A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Effective labor regulation and microeconomic flexibility," Working Papers 04-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin N Cowan & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2007. "Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000990, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin N. Cowan & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility," NBER Working Papers 10744, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Effective Labor Regulation and Microeconomic Flexibility," Working Papers 893, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Andrea Bassanini & Danielle Venn, 2008. "The Impact of Labour Market Policies on Productivity in OECD Countries," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 17, pages 3-15, Fall.
- Ricardo Caballero & Eduardo Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2005.
"Microeconomic Flexibility in Latin America,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Jorge Restrepo & Andrea Tokman R. & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Edi (ed.), Labor Markets and Institutions, edition 1, volume 8, chapter 10, pages 329-366
Central Bank of Chile.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Microeconomic Flexibility in Latin America," Working Papers 884, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Ricardo J. Caballlero & Eduardo Engel & Alejandro Micco, 2004. "Microeconomic Flexibility in Latin America," NBER Working Papers 10398, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nils Karlson & Marcus Box & Almas Heshmati, 2009.
"Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD,"
TEMEP Discussion Papers
200931, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2009.
- Heshmati Almas & Karlson Nils & Box Marcus, 2013. "Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD," Global Economy Journal, De Gruyter, vol. 13(3), pages 333-358, December.
- Karlson, Nils & Box, Marcus & Heshmati, Almas, 2008. "Generality, State Neutrality and Unemployment in the OECD," Ratio Working Papers 124, The Ratio Institute.
- Bassanini, Andrea & Nunziata, Luca & Venn, Danielle, 2008.
"Job Protection Legislation and Productivity Growth in OECD Countries,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3555, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrea Bassanini & Luca Nunziata & Danielle Venn, 2009. "Job protection legislation and productivity growth in OECD countries," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 24, pages 349-402, 04.
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2005. "The Effect of Works Councils on Employment Change," GEMF Working Papers 2005-06, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino, 2004. "The Effect of Worker Representation on Employment Behavior in Germany: Another Case of -2.5%," IZA Discussion Papers 1188, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ariga, Kenn & Kambayashi, Ryo, 2010. "Employment and wage adjustments at firms under distress in Japan: An analysis based upon a survey," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 213-235, June.
- Dutta Roy, Sudipta, 2004. "Employment dynamics in Indian industry: adjustment lags and the impact of job security regulations," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 233-256, February.
- Melanie Ward-Warmedinger & Corrado Macchiarelli, 2013. "Transitions in labour market status in the European Union," LEQS â LSE 'Europe in Question' Discussion Paper Series 69, European Institute, LSE.
- Tangian, Andranik, 2008. "Towards Consistent Principles of Flexicurity," WSI Discussion Papers 159, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Noda, Tomohiko & Hirano, Daisuke, 2013. "Enterprise unions and downsizing in Japan before and after 1997," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 91-118.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.