Multiple Currencies and Hedging
AbstractThis paper presents a model of a competitive exporting firm confronting multiple currency risks. Future markets do not exist for the firm's own currency, but do exist between currencies of two countries to which the firm exports its entire output. We provide analytical insight into optimal cross-hedging and its implications on production and on trade flows. We show that the unbiasedness of the cross-currency futures market does not imply non-random profits. Furthermore, the availability of cross-hedging opportunities has no effects on production but does have effects on exports. Copyright 1999 by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 66 (1999)
Issue (Month): 264 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Broll, Udo & Wong, Kit Pong, 2011. "Cross-hedging of correlated exchange rates," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 04/11, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard, 2009. "Modelling information and hedging: the exporting firm," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 02/09, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Udo Broll & Jack E. Wahl & Christoph Wessel, 2011. "Export, Exchange Rate Risk and Hedging: The Duopoly Case," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(4), pages 490-502, November.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard, 2009. "Modelling information and hedging: The exporting firm," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 974-977, September.
- Udo Broll & Peter Welzel & Kit Wong, 2009. "Export and Strategic Currency Hedging," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 20(5), pages 717-732, November.
- Lien, Donald & Wong, Kit Pong, 2005. "Multinationals and futures hedging under liquidity constraints," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 210-220, December.
- Wong Kit Pong, 2002. "Export-Flexible Firms and Forward Markets," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 81-95.
- Axel F. A. Adam-Müller, 2001. "What to Do if Dollar is Not a Dollar? The Impact of Inflation Risk on Production and Risk Management," CoFE Discussion Paper 01-06, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Claus-Friedrich Laaser & Franco Reither & Holger Görg & Udo Broll & Christian Pierdzioch, 2000.
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 560-571, 09.
- Michael Stolpe & Pontus Braunerhjelm & Helmut Wagner & Christian Pierdzioch, 2001. "Book reviews," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(3), pages 549-560, September.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Wessel, Christoph, 2008. "Export production, hedging exchange rate risk: the duopoly case," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 06/08, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Nicolas Péridy, 2003. "Exchange rate volatility, sectoral trade, and the aggregation bias," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 139(3), pages 389-418, September.
- Frestad, Dennis, 2010. "Corporate hedging under a resource rent tax regime," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 458-468, March.
- Broll, Udo & Wong, Kit Pong, 2002. "Optimal full-hedging under state-dependent preferences," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 937-943.
- Harald Battermann & Udo Broll, 2004. "Price uncertainty, future markets and correlation," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(2), pages 237-243.
- Ariane Breitfelder & Udo Broll & Kit Pong Wong, 2008. "Wages, Employment and Futures Markets," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 118-123, Autumn.
- Udo Broll & Kit Wong, 2006. "Multinationals, Hedging, and Capital Structure under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 103-114, January.
- Wong, Kit Pong, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and forward hedging," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 459-474, December.
- Udo Broll & Peter Welzel & Kit Pong Wong, 1999. "Strategic Hedging," Working Paper Series B 1999-04, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultïät.
- Broll, Udo & Mallick, Rajiv & Wong, Kit Pong, 2001. "International trade and hedging in economies in transition," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 149-159, June.
- Kit Pong Wong, 2001. "Currency Hedging For Export-Flexible Firms," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(1), pages 165-174.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.