Estimates of the Value of Patent Rights in Great Britain and Ireland, 1852-1876
AbstractParameters of the distribution of the value of patent rights in Britain and Ireland for the 1852-76 period are estimated, and compared with similar estimates by Schankerman and Pakes (1986) for the 1950-76 period. Market variables of the earlier period have a low ability, but those of the later period a high ability, to explain fluctuations in the value of patent rights. Aggregate patent rights have more lower-valued patents in the earlier period. In the earlier period there was no trade-off between quantity and 'quality' of patents, but in the later period there was. Aggregate value of patent rights increased relative to gross fixed capital formation, from 1870 to 1970, by approximately 100 percent. A greater amount of R&D effort helps to explain many of the differences found between the two periods. Copyright 1994 by The London School of Economics and Political Science.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 61 (1994)
Issue (Month): 241 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Srinivasan, Chittur S., 2012. "Modelling Economic Returns to Plant Variety Protection in the UK," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 2, August.
- Richter, Ralf & Streb, Jochen, 2011.
"Catching-Up and Falling Behind: Knowledge Spillover from American to German Machine Toolmakers,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 71(04), pages 1006-1031, December.
- Richter, Ralf & Streb, Jochen, 2009. "Catching-up and falling behind: knowledge spillover from American to German machine tool makers," FZID Discussion Papers 09-2009, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Kirsten Labuske & Jochen Streb, 2008. "Technological Creativity and Cheap Labour? Explaining the Growing International Competitiveness of German Mechanical Engineering before World War I," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 9, pages 65-86, 02.
- Charlotta Grönqvist, 2009. "The private value of patents by patent characteristics: evidence from Finland," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 34(2), pages 159-168, April.
- Degner, Harald, 2010. "Windows of technological opportunity: do technological booms influence the relationship between firm size and innovativeness?," FZID Discussion Papers 15-2010, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Jean Olson Lanjouw, 1994. "Economic Consequences of a Changing Litigation Environment: The Case of Patents," NBER Working Papers 4835, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hudson, John, 2000. "Generic take-up in the pharmaceutical market following patent expiry: A multi-country study," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 205-221, June.
- Jean O. Lanjouw & Ariel Pakes & Jonathan Putnam, 1996. "How to Count Patents and Value Intellectual Property: Uses of Patent Renewal and Application Data," NBER Working Papers 5741, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Gupeng & Lv, Xiaofeng & Zhou, Jianghua, 2014. "Private value of patent right and patent infringement: An empirical study based on patent renewal data of China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 37-54.
- Bas Straathof & Sander van Veldhuizen, 2012. "Market size, institutions, and the value of rights provided by patents," CPB Discussion Paper 226, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Gupeng, Zhang & Xiangdong, Chen, 2012. "The value of invention patents in China: Country origin and technology field differences," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 357-370.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.