Financial Contracting under Risk Neutrality, Limited Liability and Ex ante Asymmetric Information
AbstractThis paper derives equilibrium financial contract forms in a risk-neutral capital market with asymmetrically informed borrowers/entrepreneurs and investors. In doing so, the analysis generalizes the work of D. DeMeza and D. Webb (1987) by allowing for arbitrary profit distributions, arbitrary contract forms, and variab le investment choices. The main result of this inquiry is as follows. W hen higher-quality entrepreneurs have "better" ex post profit distributions (in the sense of the monotone likelihood ratio propert y), equilibrium contracts take a standard debt form so long as admissibl e investor payoff functions are monotone nondecreasing in firm profit. Without the monotonicity constraint, contracts often take a differen t, "live-or-die" form. Copyright 1993 by The London School of Economics and Political Science.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 60 (1993)
Issue (Month): 237 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roosen, Jutta & Hennessy, David A., 2003.
"Testing for the Monotone Likelihood Ratio Assumption,"
Staff General Research Papers
10193, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Roosen J. & Hennessy D.A., 2004. "Testing for the Monotone Likelihood Ratio Assumption," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 358-366, July.
- Jutta Roosen & David A. Hennessy, 2003. "Testing for the Monotone Likelihood Ratio Assumption," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 03-wp325, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Florian Scheuer, 2012.
"Adverse Selection In Credit Markets and Regressive Profit Taxation,"
NBER Working Papers
18406, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scheuer, Florian, 2013. "Adverse selection in credit markets and regressive profit taxation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 148(4), pages 1333-1360.
- Eren Inci, 2007.
"Occupational Choice and the Quality of Entrepreneurs,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
666, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Inci, Eren, 2013. "Occupational choice and the quality of entrepreneurs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 1-21.
- Kosmas Marinakis & Theofanis Tsoulouhas, 2012. "A comparison of cardinal tournaments and piece rate contracts with liquidity constrained agents," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 105(2), pages 161-190, March.
- Jose E. Quintero Jaramillo, 2004. "Moral Hazard In Teams With Limited Punishments And Multiple Outputs," Business Economics Working Papers wb040705, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Jose E. Quintero Jaramillo, 2004. "Liquidity Constraints And Credit Subsidies In Auctions," Business Economics Working Papers wb040604, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Gersbach, Hans & Uhlig, Harald, 2006. "Debt contracts and collapse as competition phenomena," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 556-574, October.
- Marinakis, Kosmas & Tsoulouhas, Theofanis, 2013.
"Are tournaments optimal over piece rates under limited liability for the principal?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 223-237.
- Kosmas Marinakis & Theofanis Tsoulouhas, 2006. "Are Tournaments Optimal over Piece Rates under Limited Liability for the Principal?," Working Paper Series 009, North Carolina State University, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2006.
- Vauhkonen, Jukka, 2003. "Are adverse selection models of debt robust to changes in market structure?," Research Discussion Papers 28/2003, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.