Urban Unemployment and the Gains from Trade
AbstractA welfare ranking of alternative commercial policies is constructed for the mobile capital Harris-Todaro economy. It is sh own that, despite the presence of unemployment, most noninterventioni st policies suggested by the competitive model of gains from trade ca rry over to the mobile capital Harris-Todaro economy. Yet in contradi ction to the competitive model, it is shown that all forms of trade i ntervention are not detrimental to welfare. Only those that reduce th e volume of trade are. The export promotion policies so copiously fol lowed by developing countries are vindicated, but their import substi tution policies are shown to be without justification. Copyright 1987 by The Review of Economic Studies Limited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 54 (1987)
Issue (Month): 215 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lal, Anil K., 1995. "Increasing returns, urban unemployment, and international capital mobility: A trade policy analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 181-193, February.
- Jai-Young Choi, 1999. "Factor Growth, Urban Unemployment and Welfare Under Variable Returns to Scale," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 17-34.
- Manjusri Bandyopadhyay & Manas Gupta, 1995. "Development policies in the presence of an informal sector: A note," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 61(3), pages 301-315, October.
- Marjit, Sugata & Beladi, Hamid, 2003. "Possibility or impossibility of paradoxes in the small country Harris-Todaro framework: a unifying analysis," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 379-385, October.
- Shigemi Yabuuchi & Hamid Beladi, 2001. "Urban unemployment, informal sector and development policies," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 74(3), pages 301-314, October.
- Gupta, Manash Ranjan, 1995. "Tax on foreign capital income and wage subsidy to the urban sector in the Harris-Todaro model," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 469-479, August.
- Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2009. "Emigration and wage inequality in a dual economy," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(3), pages 1549-1554.
- Manash Gupta, 1998. "Foreign capital and technology transfer in a dynamic model," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 67(1), pages 75-92, February.
- Yabuuchi, Shigemi, 1997. "Urban unemployment, international labor mobility and welfare," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 71-79, March.
- Shigemi Yabuuchi, 2011. "Emigration promotion and urban unemployment," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 2816-2823.
- Chaudhuri, Sarbajit, 2007.
"Foreign capital, welfare and urban unemployment in the presence of agricultural dualism,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 149-165, March.
- Sarbajit Chaudhuri, 2005. "Foreign Capital, Welfare And Urban Unemployment In The Presence Of Agricultural Dualism," International Trade 0510010, EconWPA.
- Choi, Jai-Young & Price, Donald I. & Allen, C. Larry, 1997. "Further implications of tariffs in the mobile capital Harris-Todaro model," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 87-102.
- Gilbert, John & Oladi, Reza, 2009. "Capital specificity, imperfect labor mobility and growth in developing economies," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 113-122, January.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Chong Yip, 2000. "Urban unemployment and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 59-77, February.
- Anil Lal, 1997. "Import Liberalization, Urban Unemployment, and Capital Mobility: a Welfare Analysis," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 21-37.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1995. "The shadow price of foreign exchange in a dual economy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 195-202, February.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Eden Yu, 1991. "Quantitative restrictions, unempolyment and welfare," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 211-217, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.