Benefit-Cost Appraisals of Export Processing Zones: A Survey of the Literature
AbstractThis article surveys research on the performance of Export Processing Zones (EPZs) using a benefit-cost analytical framework. Results suggest that zones in South Korea, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, China and Indonesia are economically efficient and generate returns well above estimated opportunity costs. On the other hand, the heavy infrastructure costs involved in setting up the zone in the Philippines resulted in a negative net present value. The zones have been an important source of employment in all cases and have promoted local entrepreneurs in some. However, as industrial development proceeds, the gap between the market and opportunity costs of labour narrows and the interest in EPZs tends to disappear. It may hold only if the zones generate private profit to domestic shareholders. Copyright Overseas Development Institute, 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Overseas Development Institute in its journal Development Policy Review.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 111 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7JD
Phone: +44 (0)20 7922 0300
Fax: +44 (0)20 7922 0399
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-6764
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- World Bank, 2006. "Fostering Higher Growth and Employment in the Kingdom of Morocco," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7114, October.
- Walkenhorst, Peter & Malouche, Mariem, 2006. "Trade Policy and Export Performance in Morocco," MPRA Paper 23119, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jean-Pierre Cling & Mireille Razafindrakoto & François Roubaud, 2007.
"Export Processing Zones in Madagascar: the impact of the dismantling of clothing quotas on employment and labour standards,"
DT/2007/06, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Roubaud, François & Razafindrakoto, Mireille & Cling, Jean-Pierre, 2009. "Export Processing Zones in Madagascar: the impact of the dismantling of clothing quotas on employment and labour standards," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4336, Paris Dauphine University.
- Cling, Jean-Pierre & Razafindrakoto, Mireille & Roubaud, Francois, 2005. "Export processing zones in Madagascar: a success story under threat?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 785-803, May.
- Walkenhorst, Peter & Cattaneo, Olivier, 2006. "Trade, Diversification and Growth in Nigeria," MPRA Paper 23735, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kalim Shah & Jorge Rivera, 2008.
"Export processing zones and corporate environmental performance in emerging economies: The case of the oil, gas, and chemical sectors of Trinidad and Tobago,"
Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 181-182, June.
- Kalim Shah & Jorge Rivera, 2007. "Export processing zones and corporate environmental performance in emerging economies: The case of the oil, gas, and chemical sectors of Trinidad and Tobago," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 40(4), pages 265-285, December.
- Jayanthakumaran, Kankesu & Lee, Shao-Wei, 2007. "An initial push for successful transition from import substitution to export-orientation in Taiwan and China: The FDI-led hypothesis," Economics Working Papers wp07-03, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Peerally, Jahan Ara & Cantwell, John A, 2012. "Changes in Trade Policies and the Heterogeneity of Domestic and Multinational Firms’ Strategic Response: The Effects on Firm-Level Capabilities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 469-485.
- World Bank, 2012. "World Development Report 2013 : Jobs," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11843, October.
- World Bank, 2007. "Nigeria - Competitiveness and Growth : Country Economic Memorandum, Volume 2. Main Report," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7824, The World Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.