The Economics of HIV/AIDS: A Survey
AbstractThis article surveys the main economic issues associated with the HIV/AIDS epidemic, paying special attention to sub-Saharan Africa. It explores the economic and behavioural determinants of HIV transmission, the microeconomics of market failures associated with high HIV prevalence, the prospects for regional development from a macroeconomic perspective and the efficient design of policies for coping with the epidemic. In line with the recent appeal by the UN Secretary General, the article argues that, without a decisive effort to halt HIV/AIDS, people living in the region are bound to experience a further fall in their standard of living in both relative and absolute terms. However, to be effective, anti-AIDS programmes must be rooted in sound economic principles. Copyright Overseas Development Institute, 2003.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Overseas Development Institute in its journal Development Policy Review.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (01)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 111 Westminster Bridge Road, London SE1 7JD
Phone: +44 (0)20 7922 0300
Fax: +44 (0)20 7922 0399
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0950-6764
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric Neumayer, 2004. "HIV/AIDS and its impact on convergence in life expectancy, infant and child survival rates," HEW 0405001, EconWPA.
- Given Mutinta & Jeff Gow & Gavin George & Kelvin Kunda & Katarina Ojteg, 2011. "The Influence of Socio-Economic Determinants on HIV Prevalence in South Africa," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 1, pages 96-106, November.
- Shorish, Jamsheed, 2007.
"Welfare Analysis of HIV/AIDS: Formulating and Computing a Continuous Time Overlapping Generations Policy Model,"
211, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Jamsheed Shorish, 2007. "Welfare analysis of HIV/AIDS: Formulating and computing a continuous time overlapping generations policy model," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0709, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- David, Antonio C. & Li, Carmen A., 2008.
"Exploring the links between HIV/AIDS, social capital, and development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4679, The World Bank.
- Antonio C. David & Carmen A. Li, 2010. "Exploring the links between HIV|AIDS, social capital and development," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 941-961.
- Brahmbhatt, Milan & Dutta, Arindam, 2008. "On SARS type economic effects during infectious disease outbreaks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4466, The World Bank.
- David, Antonio C., 2007. "HIV/AIDS and social capital in a cross-section of countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4263, The World Bank.
- Martine Visser & Frikkie Booysen, 2004. "Determinants of the choice of health care facility utilised by individuals in HIV/AIDS-affected households in the Free State province of South Africa," SALDRU/CSSR Working Papers 087, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010.
"Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?,"
Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers
42, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2011. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1704-1723.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Öhler, Hannes, 2010. "Throwing foreign aid at HIV/AIDS in developing countries: Missing the target?," Center for European, Governance and Economic Development Research Discussion Papers 111, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- Peter Nunnenkamp & Hannes Öhler, 2010. "Throwing Foreign Aid at HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries: Missing the Target?," Kiel Working Papers 1642, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Francis, Andrew M. & Mialon, Hugo M., 2010. "Tolerance and HIV," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 250-267, March.
- Thornton, Rebecca L., 2012. "HIV testing, subjective beliefs and economic behavior," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 300-313.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.