Ownership, Governance and Firm Performance in Malaysia
AbstractCorporate governance is often regarded as a weak link in Asia's company performance. Most studies have focused on the relationship between ownership and firm value, but the instruments that mediate that relationship have often been overlooked. This paper attempts to address this issue by examining the relationship between ownership types and firm performance by analysing variations in governance practices and their impact on firm performance. This paper shows that different types of majority owners exhibit distinct traits of behaviour and preferences for corporate governance practices in an environment of pervasive concentration of shareholding. Such governance practices and various firm characteristics are found to have an impact on firm performance. Copyright (c) 2007 The Authors; Journal compilation (c) 2007 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Corporate Governance: An International Review.
Volume (Year): 15 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0964-8410&site=1
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Johl, Shireenjit & Subramaniam, Nava & Mat Zain, Mazlina, 2012. "Audit Committee and CEO Ethnicity and Audit fees: Some Malaysian evidence," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 302-332.
- Chen, Chiung-Jung & Yu, Chwo-Ming Joseph, 2012. "Managerial ownership, diversification, and firm performance: Evidence from an emerging market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 518-534.
- Mohd Azmi Mohd Noor Author_Email: mnmazmi@ tm.com.my & Dr. Faudziah Hanim Bt Fadzil, 2011. "Influence Of Corporate Governance Attributes On Firms’ Financial Performance In Malaysia," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-039-124, Conference Master Resources.
- Rahimah Mohamed Yunos Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Malcolm Smith & Zubaidah Ismail & Syahrul Ahmar Ahmad, 2011. "Inside Concentrated Owners, Board Of Directors And Accounting Conservatism," Annual Summit on Business and Entrepreneurial Studies (ASBES 2011) Proceeding 2011-053-178, Conference Master Resources.
- Masood Fooladi Chaghadari Author_Email: email@example.com & Zaleha Abdul Shukor, 2011. "Corporate Governance And Disclosure Of Related Party Transactions," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-267, Conference Master Resources.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.