Have Price Policies Damaged Ldc Agricultural Productivity?
Abstract"This paper examines price policies and agricultural productivity in 18 developing countries over the period 1961-1985. We measure productivity with both a nonparametric Malmquist index and a production function, confirming previous findings of declining agricultural productivity, but with sufficient inconsistencies as to raise concern about the adequacy of the methods. We nonetheless find considerable support for the hypothesis that unfavorable price policies have damaged agricultural productivity performance in these countries. (JEL" 04, Ql) Copyright 1999 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Contemporary Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1074-3529
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005. "Have Price Policies Damaged LDC Agricultural Productivity?," Development and Comp Systems 0502020, EconWPA.
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Perrin, Richard K., 1999.
"Intellectual property rights and developing country agriculture,"
Blackwell, vol. 21(3), pages 221-229, December.
- Perrin, Richard K., 1999. "Intellectual property rights and developing country agriculture," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 21(3), December.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Bertoni, Danilo & Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2013.
"Patterns and Determinants of Off-Farm Migration: Transfer frictions and persistency of relative income gaps,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
146, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Olper, Alessandro & Raimondi, Valentina & Bertoni, Danilo & Cavicchioli, Daniele, 2013. "Patterns and Determinants of Off-Farm Migration: Transfer frictions and persistency of relative income gaps," Working Papers 144006, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Tim J. Coelli & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2005.
"Total factor productivity growth in agriculture: a Malmquist index analysis of 93 countries, 1980-2000,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 115-134, 01.
- Tim J. Coelli & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2003. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 93 Countries,1980-2000," CEPA Working Papers Series WP022003, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Alene, Arega D., 2009. "Productivity growth and the effects of R&D in African agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51436, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Benjamin N. Dennis & Talan Iscan, 2007. "Agricultural Distortions, Structural Change, and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," Department of Economics at Dalhousie University working papers archive distort35, Dalhousie, Department of Economics.
- Nin, Alejandro & Arndt, Channing & Preckel, Paul V., 2003. "Is agricultural productivity in developing countries really shrinking? New evidence using a modified nonparametric approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 395-415, August.
- Zuniga Gonzalez, Carlos Alberto, 2012. "Total factor productivity and Bio Economy effects," MPRA Paper 49355, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 13 Nov 2012.
- Zuniga Gonzalez, Carlos Alberto, 2011. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: A Malmquist Index Analysis of 14 Countries, 1979-2008," Conference Papers 114036, National Autonomous University of Nicaragua, León (Unan-León), Researching Center for Applied Economics (RCAE).
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2009.
"An Updated Look at the Recovery of Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51731, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nin Pratt, Alejandro & Yu, Bingxin, 2008. "An updated look at the recovery of agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa:," IFPRI discussion papers 787, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.