Tariff-Rate Quota Liberalization: The Case of World Price Uncertainty and Supply Management
Abstract"This paper examines the options for liberalizing tariff-rate quotas when a marketing board controls domestic production and international prices are stochastic. Lowering over-quota tariff and increasing import quota volumes are not equivalent. The trade-offs between the two types of trade reforms are examined through numerical simulations for the Canadian chicken industry. Introducing world price variability results in a distribution of welfare impacts for the different groups in the industry. Consumers and processors gain more with tariff liberalization than with increased import quotas. The difference in producer surplus between liberalization regimes is truncated so that producers only see down-side risk under the tariff liberalization regime." Copyright 2006 Canadian Agricultural Economics Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie in its journal Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 54 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0008-3976
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lambert, Remy, 2012. "A Primer on the Economics of Supply Management and Food Supply Chains," Working Papers 125246, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Abdessalem Abbassi & Lota D. Tamini & Jean‐Philippe Gervais, 2012.
"Do Inventories Have an Impact on Price Transmission? Evidence From the Canadian Chicken Industry,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(2), pages 173-186, 03.
- Abbassi, Abdessalem & Tamini, Lota D. & Gervais, Jean-Philippe, 2011. "Do inventories have an impact on price transmission? Evidence from the Canadian chicken industry," MPRA Paper 30868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L.D. Tamini & M. Doyon & M.M. Zan, 2014. "Investment behavior of Canadian Egg Producers: Analyzing the Impacts of Risk Aversion and Variability of Prices and Costs of Production," Cahiers de recherche CREATE 2014-2, CREATE.
- Tamini, Lota D. & Doyon, Maurice & Simon, Rodrigue, 2012. "Analyzing trade liberalization effect in egg sector using a dynamic gravity model," MPRA Paper 39315, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.