Theories of the Banking Firm: A Review of the Literature
AbstractThis paper reviews the theoretical literature on the banking firm. Apart from studies dealing purely with the reasons why banks exist the survey is fairly comprehensive in that it covers the main categories of macroeconomic models of bank behavior. The emphasis is on recent work, which also includes modern, information-based, theories of loan commitments, credit rationing, collateral and the bank-client relationship. Copyright 1996 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd and the Board of Trustees of the Bulletin of Economic Research
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Bulletin of Economic Research.
Volume (Year): 48 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0307-3378
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Neuberger, Doris, 1997. "Structure, Conduct and Performance in Banking Markets," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 12, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Hakenes, Hendrik, 2004.
"Banks as delegated risk managers,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(10), pages 2399-2426, October.
- Lehmann, Erik & Neuberger, Doris, 2001.
"Do lending relationships matter?: Evidence from bank survey data in Germany,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 339-359, August.
- Erik Lehmann & Neuberger, Doris, 2000. "Do Lending Relationships Matter? Evidence from Bank Survey Data in Germany," CoFE Discussion Paper 00-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Lehmann, Erik & Neuberger, Doris, 1998. "SME Loan Pricing and Lending Relationships in Germany: A New Look," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 18, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Doris Neu Berger, 1998. "Industrial Organization of Banking: A Review," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 97-118.
- P.R. Agenor & J. Aizenman & A. Hoffmaister, 2000.
"The Credit Crunch in East Asia: What can Bank Excess Liquid Assets Tell us?,"
NBER Working Papers
7951, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander W., 2004. "The credit crunch in East Asia: what can bank excess liquid assets tell us?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 27-49, February.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Aizenman, Joshua & Hoffmaister, Alexander, 2000. "The credit crunch in East Asia : what can bank excess liquid assets tell us ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2483, The World Bank.
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo & Douglas Wood, 2002.
"Information technology innovations and commercial banking: A review and appraisal from an historical perspective,"
- Bernardo Batiz-Lazo & Douglas Wood, 2002. "Information technology innovations and commercial banking: A review and appraisal from an historical perspective," Economic History 0211002, EconWPA.
- Davide Consoli, 2003. "The evolution of retail banking services in United Kingdom: a retrospective analysis," Industrial Organization 0310002, EconWPA.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2006. "Developing foreign bank efficiency models for DEA grounded in finance theory," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 275-296, December.
- Javier Gómez, 1998. "The Banking Spread And The Resource Cost Of Capital," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003566, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Alistair Milne & A Elizabeth Whalley, 1999. "Bank capital and risk taking," Bank of England working papers 90, Bank of England.
- Consoli, Davide, 2005. "The dynamics of technological change in UK retail banking services: An evolutionary perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 461-480, May.
- Arby, Muhammad Farooq, 2003. "Structure and Performance of Commercial Banks in Pakistan," MPRA Paper 4983, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Noguchi, Masayoshi, 2011. "Auditors and the supervision of retail finance: evidence from two small-sized building societies, 1976-1978," MPRA Paper 32193, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Novo-Peteiro, Jose A., 2000. "New technologies, information reusability and diversification: A simple model of a banking firm," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 69-88, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.