Collective Bargaining and Within-firm Wage Dispersion in Spain
AbstractThis paper analyses the effect of collective bargaining on within-firm wage dispersion for the case of Spain. What is relevant in the Spanish case is to compare the effect of the two basic levels of bargaining (firm and sector) on wage dispersion. By using the Oaxaca-Blinder decomposition, this paper concludes that collective agreements at firm level have a negative effect on wage dispersion. At the same time, firms that have signed these types of agreements show greater wage dispersion than those covered by agreements at the sector level, owing to the positive and compensating effect of firms' and workers' features. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd/London School of Economics 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics in its journal British Journal of Industrial Relations.
Volume (Year): 42 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0007-1080
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2007.
"Employer Size and the Structure of Wages: A Critical Survey,"
Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique,
De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 75-87.
- Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2007. "Employer size and the structure of wages: a critical survey," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8747, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Robert Plasman & Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2007.
"Wages and the bargaining regime under multi-level bargaining: Belgium, Denmark and Spain,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9777, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Plasman, Robert & Rusinek, Michael & Rycx, Francois, 2006. "Wages and the Bargaining Regime under Multi-level Bargaining: Belgium, Denmark and Spain," IZA Discussion Papers 1990, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert Plasman & Michael Rusinek & François Rycx, 2006. "Wages and the bargaining regime under multi-level bargaining: Belgium, Denmark and Spain," DULBEA Working Papers 06-01.RS., ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Therry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2006.
"Establishment Size and the Dipsersion of Wages: Evidence from european Countries,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 52(4), pages 309-336.
- Lallemand, Thierry & Rycx, Francois, 2005. "Establishment Size and the Dispersion of Wages: Evidence from European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1778, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2005. "Establishment size and the dispersion of wages: evidence from European Countries," DULBEA Working Papers 05-18.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Thierry Lallemand & François Rycx, 2006. "Establishment size and the dispersion of wages: evidence from European Countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8739, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Maritza López-Novella & Salimata Sissoko, 2009. "Working Paper 12-09 - Salaires et négociation collective en Belgique : une analyse microéconomique en panel," Working Papers 0912, Federal Planning Bureau, Belgium.
- Bayo-Moriones, Alberto & Galdon-Sanchez, Jose Enrique & Martinez-de-Morentin, Sara, 2008. "What Are the Factors Behind Pay Settlements? Evidence from Spanish and British Data," IZA Discussion Papers 3401, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- De la Rica Goiricelaya, Sara & Card, David E., 2004.
"The effect of firm-level contracts on the structure of wages: evidence from matched employer-employee data,"
DFAEII Working Papers
2004-06, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- David Card & Sara de la Rica, 2005. "The Effect of Firm-Level Contracts on the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," NBER Working Papers 11829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Card, David & de la Rica, Sara, 2004. "The Effect of Firm-Level Contracts on the Structure of Wages: Evidence from Matched Employer-Employee Data," IZA Discussion Papers 1421, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- McGuinness, Seamus & Kelly, Elish & O'Connell, Philip J., 2008. "The Impact of Wage Bargaining Regime on Firm-Level Competitiveness and Wage Inequality: The Case of Ireland," Papers WP266, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- John T. Addison & Ralph W. Bailey & W. Stanley Siebert, 2009.
"Wage Dispersion in a Partially Unionized Labor Force,"
09-04, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- John T. Addison & Ralph W. Bailey & W. Stanley Siebert, 2009. "Wage Dispersion in a Partially Unionized Labor Force," GEMF Working Papers 2009-09, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Addison, John T. & Bailey, Ralph & Siebert, W. Stanley, 2009. "Wage Dispersion in a Partially Unionized Labor Force," IZA Discussion Papers 4202, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Florentino Felgueroso & Juan Prieto Rodríguez & María José Pérez-Villadóniga, 2007. "Collective Bargaining and the GenderWage Gap: A Quantile Regression Approach," Working Papers 2007-06, FEDEA.
- Malo, Miguel A. & Sanchez-sanchez, Nuria, 2011. "The legal form of labour conflicts and their time persistence: an empirical analysis with a large firms' panel," MPRA Paper 30117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alberto Bayo-Moriones & Jose Enrique Galdon-Sanchez & Sara Martinez-de-Morentin, 2013. "The Process of Wage Adjustment: An Analysis Using Establishment- Level Data," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 1306, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.