Why Fewer Workers Join Unions in Europe: A Social Custom Explanation of Membership Trends
AbstractCan the recent decline in union density in Europe be attributed to specific economic, social or institutional causes? Can unions influence these causes and reverse decline? Using two data sources - a representative survey of Dutch employees and a data set for European countries between 1950 and 1997 - the author examines the determinants of union decline. The theoretical model is based on a social custom approach to unionization, integrating rational choice and social network theory. The empirical results show improbable small margins of union resurgence, that is, if institutional support for union representation can be maintained or regained within and beyond workplaces. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd/London School of Economics 2002.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics in its journal British Journal of Industrial Relations.
Volume (Year): 40 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0007-1080
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2007.
"Trade Union Membership and Works Councils in West Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2635, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Laszlo Goerke & Markus Pannenberg, 2007. "Trade Union Membership and Works Councils in West Germany," Industrielle Beziehungen - Zeitschrift fuer Arbeit, Organisation und Management - The German Journal of Industrial Relations, Rainer Hampp Verlag, vol. 14(2), pages 154 - 175.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2007. "Trade union membership and work councils in West Germany," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 311, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2008.
"The Aging of the unions in West Germany, 1980-2006,"
Working Paper Series in Economics
93, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Claus Schnabel & Joachim Wagner, 2008. "The Aging of the Unions in West Germany, 1980-2006," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 228(5+6), pages 497-511, December.
- Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2008. "The Aging of the Unions in West Germany, 1980–2006," IZA Discussion Papers 3661, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schnabel, Claus & Schank, Thorsten, 2008. "The aging of the unions in West Germany, 1980 - 2006," Discussion Papers 60, Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2008. "The aging of the unions in West Germany, 1980-2006," IWQW Discussion Paper Series 04/2008, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Hagen Lesch, 2004. "Trade Union Density in International Comparison," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 5(4), pages 12-18, December.
- Andrea Vaona, 2006. "The Duration of Union Membership: an Empirical Study," Kiel Working Papers 1268, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- A Charlwood, 2003. "The Anatomy of Union Decline in Britain: 1990-1998," CEP Discussion Papers dp0601, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Laszlo Goerke & Markus Pannenberg, 2004.
"Norm-Based Trade Union Membership: Evidence for Germany,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(4), pages 481-504, November.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2003. "Norm-Based Trade Union Membership: Evidence for Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 962, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Oesch, Daniel, 2010. "Explaining union growth and decline with flows in and out of membership. An analysis of Swiss union locals," MPRA Paper 24358, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.