Modelling the Equity Beta Risk of Australian Financial Sector Companies
AbstractIn this paper we apply the generalised auto-regressive conditional heteroskedasticity (GARCH) and Kalman Filter approaches to modelling the equity beta risk of a sample of fifteen Australian financial sector companies. A de-regulated environment in which strong competitive forces are at play typifies the period of investigation. Consistent with the existing literature, we find that these modelling techniques perform well and, in particular, that the Kalman Filter approach is preferred. Further, we find that considerable variability of risk occurs throughout the sample period. Thus, extending the evidence of Harper and Scheit (1992); Brooks and Faff (1995) and Brooks, Faff and McKenzie (1997), we find evidence consistent with the hypothesis that deregulation has impacted the risk of banking sector stocks. Copyright 2000 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd/University of Adelaide and Flinders University of South Australia
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Australian Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 39 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-900X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomas Adam & Sona Benecka & Ivo Jansky, 2012. "Time-Varying Betas of Banking Sectors," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(6), pages 485-504, December.
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2008.
"Time-varying beta risk of Pan-European industry portfolios: A comparison of alternative modeling techniques,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(8), pages 771-802.
- Sascha Mergner & Jan Bulla, 2005. "Time-varying Beta Risk of Pan-European Industry Portfolios: A Comparison of Alternative Modeling Techniques," Finance 0510029, EconWPA.
- Susan Ryan & Andrew C. Worthington, 2002. "Time-Varying Market, Interest Rate and Exchange Rate Risk in Australian Bank Portfolio Stock Returns: A Garch-M Approach," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 112, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Bogdan, Sinisa & Baresa, Suzana & Ivanovic, Sasa, 2010. "Portfolio Analysis Based On The Example Of Zagreb Stock Exchange," UTMS Journal of Economics, University of Tourism and Management, Skopje, Macedonia, vol. 1(1), pages 39-52.
- Claudia Burgio-Ficca, 2004. "The Impact of Higher Education Research and Development on Australian Gross State Product," Economics Series 2004_01, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Onour, Ibrahim, 2010.
"The Global Financial Crisis and Equity Markets in Middle East Oil Exporting Countries,"
23332, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dr. Ibrahim Onour, . "The Global Financial Crisis and Equity Markets in Middle East Oil Exporting Countries," API-Working Paper Series 1009, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Ibrahim Onour, . "Exploring Stability of Systematic Risk: Sectoral Portfolio Analysis," API-Working Paper Series 1002, Arab Planning Institute - Kuwait, Information Center.
- Ortas, Eduardo & Moneva, José M. & Salvador, Manuel, 2012. "Does socially responsible investment equity indexes in emerging markets pay off? Evidence from Brazil," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 581-597.
- Pariyada Sukcharoensin, 2013. "Time-Varying Market, Interest Rate and Exchange Rate Risks of Thai Commercial Banks," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 9(1), pages 25-45.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.