Cost Functions for Australian Universities
AbstractThis paper reports some new cost functions for the Australian university sector, estimated using pooled data at the interinstitution level and cross-section data at the interfaculty level. The results shed some light on scale relationships between and within universities in Australia, and enable some quantification of the cost differences between the arts, natural science, and professional-scientific subject areas. After allowance is made for resources devoted to research, teaching-only recurrent costs are derived which form a basis for a broad evaluation of alternative tuition-fee proposals for Australian universities at the present time. Copyright 1986 by Blackwell Publishers Ltd/University of Adelaide and Flinders University of South Australia
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Australian Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 25 (1986)
Issue (Month): 47 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0004-900X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Horne, Jocelyn & Hu, Baiding, 2008. "Estimation of cost efficiency of Australian universities," Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (MATCOM), Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 266-275.
- John Creedy & David Johnson & Ma. Rebecca Valenzuela, 2002.
"A Cost Function for Higher Education in Australia,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2002n11, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Kuo, Jenn-Shyong & Ho, Yi-Cheng, 2008. "The cost efficiency impact of the university operation fund on public universities in Taiwan," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 603-612, October.
- Abbott, M. & Doucouliagos, C., 2003. "The efficiency of Australian universities: a data envelopment analysis," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-97, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.