Moving off the farm and intensifying agricultural production in Shandong: a case study of rural labor market linkages in China
AbstractThis study examines linkages between off-farm labor markets and the labor allocated by farmers to on-farm production of fruit crops. Using a stratified random sample of rural households in Shandong Province, we find that young and educated members of the labor force tend to work more frequently in the off-farm labor market, and that off-farm employment reduces the likelihood and intensity of fruit production. Fruit production is associated with lower levels of off-farm employment. Households and individuals who are less likely (or able) to find off-farm employment can benefit from shifting into fruit production. Although off-farm employment is an important avenue out of poverty, fruit production provides ways for the less educated and older households to raise their income. Copyright (c) 2009 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 40 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Jing You, 2013. "Poverty Dynamics of Households in Rural China," Discussion Paper Series DP2013-16, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Jun 2013.
- Katsushi Imai & Jin You, 2012.
"Poverty Dynamics of Households in Rural China: Identifying Multiple Pathways for Poverty Transition,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1203, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Jing You, 2011. "Poverty Dynamics of Households in Rural China: Identifying Multiple Pathways for Poverty Transition," Discussion Paper Series DP2011-35, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Jia, Lili & Petrick, Martin, 2011.
"How land fragmentation affects off-farm labor supply in China: Evidence from household panel data,"
51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011
114522, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Jia, Lili & Petrick, Martin, 2012. "How land fragmentation affects off-farm labor supply in China: Evidence from household panel data," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126263, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hernandez, Ricardo & Reardon, Thomas, 2012.
"Tomato Farmers and Modern Markets in Nicaragua: A Duration Analysis,"
121802, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Hernandez, Ricardo & Reardon, Thomas, 2012. "Tomato Farmers and Modern Markets in Nicaragua: a Duration Analysis," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124587, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Babatunde, Raphael O. & Qaim, Matin, 2010. "Impact of Off-farm Income on Food Security and Nutrition in Nigeria," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 97332, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Zhang, Yuquan W. & Beach, Robert H. & Cai, Yongxia, 2013. "China’s Agriculture under Urbanization: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150782, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Hernandez, Ricardo & Reardon, Thomas & Guan, Zhengfei, 2012. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Farm Technology in Guatemala," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126849, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Babatunde, Raphael O. & Qaim, Matin, 2010. "Impact of off-farm income on food security and nutrition in Nigeria," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 303-311, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.