Investment, subsidies, and pro-poor growth in rural India
AbstractThis article reviews the trends in government subsidies and investments in and for Indian agriculture; develops a conceptual framework and a model to assess the impact of various subsidies and investments on agricultural growth and poverty reduction; and presents reform options with regard to re-prioritizing government spending. Subsidies in credit, fertilizer, and irrigation have been crucial for small farmers to adopt new technologies particularly during the initial stage of the green revolution in the late 1960s and 1970s. But it is now investments in agricultural research, education, and rural roads that are the three most effective public spending items in promoting agricultural growth and reducing poverty. Copyright (c)2008 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 39 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Fan, Shenggen & Gulati, Ashok & Thorat, Sukhadeo, 2007. "Investment, subsidies, and pro-poor growth in rural India:," IFPRI discussion papers 716, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Spielman, David J. & Kolady, Deepthi & Cavalieri, Anthony & Chandrasekhara Rao, N., 2011.
"The seed and agricultural biotechnology industries in India: An analysis of industry structure, competition, and policy options,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1103, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Spielman, David J. & Kolady, Deepthi E. & Cavalieri, Anthony & Rao, N. Chandrasekhara, 2014. "The seed and agricultural biotechnology industries in India: An analysis of industry structure, competition, and policy options," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 88-100.
- repec:ags:midips:140910 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yoseph Yilma Getachew, 2012.
"Distributional effects of public policy choices,"
2012_04, Durham University Business School.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & Mcbride, Linden, 2012. "The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: Synthesis of the existing evidence," IFPRI discussion papers 1217, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Pfeiffer, Lisa & Lin, Cynthia, 2013. "The Effects of Energy Prices on Groundwater Extraction in Agriculture in the High Plains Aquifer," 2014 Allied Social Science Association (ASSA) Annual Meeting, January 3-5, 2014, Philadelphia, PA 161890, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Raabe, Katharina, 2011.
"The Dynamics of Service Delivery and Agricultural Development in India - A District-Level Analysis -,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
68, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Raabe, Katharina, 2011. "The Dynamics of Service Delivery and Agricultural Development in India – A District Level Analysis –," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114783, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gulati, Ashok, 2009. "Indian Agriculture: Changing Landscape," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 53205, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Ministry of Agriculture GOI, 2012. "State of Indian Agriculture 2011-12," Working Papers id:4851, eSocialSciences.
- Mason, Nicole M. & Myers, Robert J., 2011.
"Zambian Smallholder Behavioral Responses To Food Reserve Agency Activities,"
Food Security Collaborative Policy Briefs
120764, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Mason, Nicole M. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Myers, Robert J., 2011. "Zambian Smallholder Behavioral Responses To Food Reserve Agency Activities," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 120768, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Mason, Nicole M. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Myers, Robert J., 2012. "Smallholder Behavioral Responses to Marketing Board Activities in a Dual Channel Marketing System: The Case of Maize in Zambia," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126927, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gulati, Ashok, 2009. "Emerging Trends in Indian Agriculture: What Can We Learn from these?," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 22(2).
- Akramov, Kamiljon T., 2009. "Decentralization, agricultural services and determinants of input use in Nigeria:," IFPRI discussion papers 941, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Grabowski, Richard, 2009. "An alternative Indian model?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 50-61, January.
- Stephan Klasen & Jan Priebe & Robert Rudolf, 2013.
"Cash crop choice and income dynamics in rural areas: evidence for post-crisis Indonesia,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(3), pages 349-364, 05.
- Stephan Klasen & Jan Priebe & Robert Rudolf, 2010. "Cash Crop Choice and Income Dynamics in Rural Areas: Evidence for Post-Crisis Indonesia," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 33, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Birner, Regina & Resnick, Danielle, 2010. "The Political Economy of Policies for Smallholder Agriculture," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1442-1452, October.
- Hazell, Peter B.R., 2009. "The Asian Green Revolution:," IFPRI discussion papers 911, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joseph, Kelli L., 2010. "The politics of power: Electricity reform in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 503-511, January.
- Klasen, Stephan & Reimers, Malte, 2013. "Looking at Pro-Poor Growth from an Agricultural Perspective," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149745, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Renkow, Mitch, 2010. "Impacts of IFPRI's "priorities for pro-poor public investment" global research program:," Impact assessments 31, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.