Quality control in nonstaple food markets: evidence from India
AbstractUsing original survey data collected on growers, traders, processors, markets, and village communities, we will compare the situation in four states: Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Orissa. We examine the way that information about crop attributes is conveyed (or not) along the value chain. We find that little information circulates about unobservable crop characteristics. Growers receive a price premium when they dry, grade, and pack their produce, but we find no evidence that information about crop salubrity or agricultural practices circulates through the value chain or that growers are encouraged to follow specific agricultural practices for quality purposes. Market infrastructure is deficient regarding sanitation, with few public toilets, inadequate drainage, and no coordinated pest control. Copyright (c)2008 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 38 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Vargas Hill, Ruth & Minten, Bart, 2007. "Quality control in non-staple food markets: Evidence from India," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 717, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill & Bart Minten, 2006. "Quality Control in Non-Staple Food Markets: Evidence from India," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-057, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Eleni Gabre-Madhin, 2007.
"Agricultural Markets in Benin and Malawi,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-068, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni Z., 2006. "Agricultural markets in Benin and Malawi," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 1(1), December.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Singh, K.M. & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2010. "The benefit of cold storages: Evidence from Bihar," MPRA Paper 54345, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Dec 2010.
- repec:ags:aaea13:150001 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jano, Pilar & Hueth, Brent, 2013. "Quality Incentives in Informal Markets: The Case of Ecuadorian Cocoa," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C., Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 150378, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Patlolla, Sandhyarani & Goodhue, Rachael E. & Sexton, Richard J., 2014. "Managing quantity, quality, and timing in Indian cane sugar production : ex post marketing permits or ex ante production contracts ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6975, The World Bank.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2010. "Food Prices and Modern Retail: The Case of Delhi," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(12), pages 1775-1787, December.
- Bart Minten & Anneleen Vandeplas & Johan F.M.Swinnen, 2011.
"Regulations, brokers, and interlinkages: The institutional organization of wholesale markets in India,"
LICOS Discussion Papers, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven
28811, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Bart Minten & Anneleen Vandeplas & Johan Swinnen, 2011. "Regulations, Brokers, and Interlinkages: The Institutional Organization of Wholesale Markets in India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(7), pages 864-886, May.
- Minten, Bart & Reardon, Thomas & Singh, K.M. & Sutradhar, Rajib, 2011. "The potato value chain in Bihar: An assessment and policy implications," MPRA Paper 54350, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Jan 2011.
- Hoffmann, Vivian & Gatobu, Ken Mwithirwa, 2014. "Growing their own: Unobservable quality and the value of self-provisioning," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 106(C), pages 168-178.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.