Determinants, differentiation, and development of short-term marginal costs in dairy production: an empirical analysis for selected regions of the EU
AbstractThis work provides evidence on the determinants, cost differentiation, and development of short-term marginal costs of dairy farms in important production regions of the European Union. The empirical study is based on the estimation of multi-input multi-output Symmetric Generalized McFadden cost functions using an unbalanced panel data set of the European Farm Accountancy Data Network. The results show considerable regional differences in the impact of the outputs, input prices, and fixed factors on marginal costs. Strong evidence can be found that marginal costs decrease over time and is further underlined by the development of derived regional aggregated short-term supply curves. Marginal cost elasticities and correlation coefficients validate the hypotheses that a high degree of farm specialization, large milk output, and low milk prices are associated with lower marginal costs. Furthermore, the marginal cost spread in the data sample is analyzed. We show that milk output, milk yield, herd size, labor input, and fodder production can be attributed to significant marginal cost differentiation of farms, whereas for crop and animal output, grassland, stock of other animals, and depreciation only minor differentiation can be found. Copyright 2007 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Britz, Wolfgang & Heckelei, Thomas, 2008. "Recent Developments In Eu Policies – Challenges For Partial Equilibrium Models," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6315, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bouamra-Mechemache, Zohra & Jogeneel, Roel & Requillart, Vincent, 2008. "Removing EU milk quotas, soft landing versus hard landing," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43656, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Kempen, Markus & Witzke, Peter & Pérez Domínguez, Ignacio & Jansson, Torbjörn & Sckokai, Paolo, 2011. "Economic and environmental impacts of milk quota reform in Europe," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 29-52, January.
- Latruffe, Laure & Letort, Elodie, 2011. "Short-term Marginal Costs in French Agriculture," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114385, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Hansen, Kristiana & Baudry, Alexandre & De Blander, Rembert & Frahan, Bruno Henry de & Polome, Philippe, 2009. "Estimating an Ex Ante Cost Function for Belgian Arable Crop Farms," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49477, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Baudry, Alexandre & Frahan, Bruno Henry de & Polome, Philippe & Howitt, Richard E., 2008. "Dairy Farms without Quotas: Simulations Based on a Multi-output Multi-input Cost Function," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43965, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mosnier, Claire & Wieck, Christine, 2010. "Determinants of spatial dynamics of dairy production: a review," Discussion Papers 162896, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Josep Mª Argilés Bosch & Josep García Blandón, 2011. "The influence of size on cost behaviour associated with tactical and operational flexibility," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 38(2 Year 20), pages 419-455, December.
- Casasnovas, Valero L. & Aldanondo, Ana Maria, 2011. "Influence of Animal Feeding on Milk Supply in Navarre," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114316, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.