Accounting for agricultural decline with economic growth in Taiwan
AbstractIn this paper, we develop an empirical model to decompose the evolution of the agricultural share of GDP into three components: price changes, factor endowment changes and technological change. Our results suggest that relative prices have a positive but small influence on the share of agriculture in GDP in both the long-run and the short-run. An increase in capital per unit of labor, on the other hand, is associated with a smaller agricultural share. Technical change has been biased in favor of the agricultural sector but this effect has been swamped by the magnitude of the input effects, in particular, the changes in the capital-labor ratio. Copyright 2007 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Ling Sun & Lilyan E. Fulginiti & E. Wesley Peterson, 2005. "Accounting for Agricultural Decline with Economic Growth in Taiwan," Development and Comp Systems 0502022, EconWPA.
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- Q1 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberto ESPOSTI, 2007. "On the Decline of Agriculture. Evidence from Italian Regions in the Post-WWII Period," Working Papers 300, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Saenz, Mariana, 2010. "Structural Change in the Colombian Coffee Sector: 1975-2007," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61462, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Tey, (John) Yeong-Sheng, 2008. "The Relative Decline of Agriculture in China," MPRA Paper 15057, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.