Rating methodologies for banks
AbstractThe three major rating agencies are reassessing banks' credit risk in the light of the recent crisis. So far, this has resulted in material downgrades, especially of European and US institutions, and increased agreement about banks' overall level of creditworthiness and their greater dependence on public support than in the past. The agencies are also making efforts to enhance the transparency of bank ratings and the role of official support. Agency assessments of regulatory initiatives may affect policymakers' communication with financial markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank for International Settlements in its journal BIS Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): (June)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingo Fender & Nikola Tarashev & Haibin Zhu, 2008. "Credit fundamentals, ratings and value-at-risk: CDOs versus corporate exposures," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Frank Packer & Ryan Stever & Christian Upper, 2007. "The covered bond market," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Harald Hau & Sam Langfield & David Marques-Ibanez, 2012.
"Bank ratings-What determines their quality?,"
12012, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Hau, Harald & Langfield, Sam & MarquÃ©s-IbÃ¡Ã±ez, David, 2012. "Bank ratings: what determines their quality?," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 1484, European Central Bank.
- Hau, Harald & Langfield, Sam & MarquÃ©s IbaÃ±ez, David, 2012. "Bank ratings: What determines their quality?," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 9171, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pastor MonsÃ¡lvez JosÃ© Manuel & FernÃ¡ndez de Guevara Radoselovics Juan & Salvador MuÃ±oz Carlos, 2012.
"Impact of the Subprime Crisis on Bank Ratings: The Effect of the Hardening of Rating Policies and Worsening of Solvency,"
Working Papers, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation
2012120, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Salvador, Carlos & Pastor, Jose Manuel & FernÃ¡ndez de Guevara, Juan, 2014. "Impact of the subprime crisis on bank ratings: The effect of the hardening of rating policies and worsening of solvency," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 11(C), pages 13-31.
- David Murphy, 2012. "Maintaining Confidence," FMG Special Papers, Financial Markets Group sp216, Financial Markets Group.
- Oana Toader, 2014. "Quantifying and Explaining Implicit Public Guarantees for European Banks," Working Papers halshs-01015376, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.