Systemic importance: some simple indicators
AbstractAre there simple yet reliable indicators of banks' systemic importance? In addressing this question, this article explores three model-based measures of systemic importance and finds that bank size helps approximate each of them. A bank's total interbank lending and borrowing provide useful complementary information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank for International Settlements in its journal BIS Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): (March)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2012.
"Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 193-205.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2010. "Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis," BIS Working Papers 296, Bank for International Settlements.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Helmut Elsinger & Alfred Lehar & Martin Summer, 2006.
"Using Market Information for Banking System Risk Assessment,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 2(1), March.
- Elsinger, Helmut & Lehar, Alfred & Summer, Martin, 2005. "Using Market Information for Banking System Risk Assessment," MPRA Paper 817, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Celine Gauthier & Alfred Lehar & Moez Souissi, 2010. "Macroprudential Regulation and Systemic Capital Requirements," Working Papers 10-4, Bank of Canada.
- Viral V. Acharya & Lasse H. Pedersen & Thomas Philippon & Matthew Richardson, 2010.
"Measuring systemic risk,"
1002, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Fabio Caccioli & J. Doyne Farmer & Nick Foti & Daniel Rockmore, 2013. "How interbank lending amplifies overlapping portfolio contagion: A case study of the Austrian banking network," Papers 1306.3704, arXiv.org.
- Nikola Tarashev & Mathias Drehmann, 2011. "Measuring the systemic importance of interconnected banks," BIS Working Papers 342, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jobst, Andreas A., 2013. "Multivariate dependence of implied volatilities from equity options as measure of systemic risk," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 112-129.
- Claudio Borio, 2013. "The Great Financial Crisis: setting priorities for new statistics," BIS Working Papers 408, Bank for International Settlements.
- Foti, Nicholas J. & Pauls, Scott & Rockmore, Daniel N., 2013. "Stability of the World Trade Web over time – An extinction analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1889-1910.
- Idier, Julien & Lamé, Gildas & Mésonnier, Jean-Stéphane, 2013.
"How useful is the marginal expected shortfall for the measurement of systemic exposure? A practical assessment,"
Working Paper Series
1546, European Central Bank.
- Idier, J. & Lamé, G. & Mésonnier, J S., 2011. "How useful is the Marginal Expected Shortfall for the measurement of systemic exposure? A practical assessment," Working papers 348, Banque de France.
- Memmel, Christoph & Sachs, Angelika, 2011.
"Contagion in the interbank market and its determinants,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2011,17, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Memmel, Christoph & Sachs, Angelika, 2013. "Contagion in the interbank market and its determinants," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 46-54.
- Aldasoro, Iñaki & Angeloni, Ignazio, 2013.
"Input-Output-based Measures of Systemic Importance,"
49557, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aldasoro, Iñaki & Angeloni, Ignazio, 2013. "Input-output-based measures of systemic importance," SAFE Working Paper Series 29, Center of Excellence SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Lara Mónica Machado Fernandes, & Maria Rosa Borges, 2013. "Interbank Linkages and Contagion Risk in the Portuguese Banking System," Working Papers Department of Economics 2013/23, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Yuthika Indraratna, 2013. "Strengthening Financial Stability Indicators in the Midst of Rapid Financial Innovation: Updates and Assessments," Research Studies, South East Asian Central Banks (SEACEN) Research and Training Centre, number rp89, June.
- Martin Saldías Zambrana, 2010.
"Systemic risk analysis using forward-looking distance-to-default series,"
1005, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Saldías, Martín, 2013. "Systemic risk analysis using forward-looking Distance-to-Default series," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 498-517.
- Martín Saldías, 2012. "Systemic Risk Analysis using Forward-Looking Distance-to-Default Series," Working Papers w201216, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Claudio Borio, 2011.
"Rediscovering the macroeconomic roots of financial stability policy: journey, challenges and a way forward,"
BIS Working Papers
354, Bank for International Settlements.
- Claudio Borio, 2011. "Rediscovering the Macroeconomic Roots of Financial Stability Policy: Journey, Challenges, and a Way Forward," Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 87-117, December.
- PICIU, Gabriela Cornelia, 2013. "Internal Rating – An Active Instrument In The Management Of Banking Risks. Case Study Bcr," Studii Financiare (Financial Studies), Centre of Financial and Monetary Research "Victor Slavescu", vol. 17(2), pages 21-30.
- Drehmann, Mathias & Tarashev, Nikola, 2013. "Measuring the systemic importance of interconnected banks," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 586-607.
- Puspa Amri & Apanard P. Angkinand & Clas Wihlborg, 2011. "International comparisons of bank regulation, liberalization, and banking crises," Journal of Financial Economic Policy, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(4), pages 322-339, November.
- Manfred Jaeger-Ambrozewicz, 2012. "Closed form solutions of measures of systemic risk," Papers 1211.4173, arXiv.org.
- Kalin Tintchev, 2013. "Connected to Whom? International Interbank Borrowing During the Global Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/14, International Monetary Fund.
- Xisong Jin & Francisco Nadal De Simone, 2013. "Banking Systemic Vulnerabilities: A Tail-risk Dynamic CIMDO Approach," BCL working papers 82, Central Bank of Luxembourg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.