Bank health and lending to emerging markets
AbstractOver the past decade, many emerging markets have increased their dependence on credit from foreign banks. However, the ongoing financial crisis may prompt banks to reassess their exposures to these economies. Panel regression analysis of data since the early 1990s indicates that a deterioration in bank health is associated with a decline in the growth of credit to emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank for International Settlements in its journal BIS Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (2008)
Issue (Month): (December)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F34 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Lending and Debt Problems
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alicia Garcia-Herrero & Maria Soledad Martinez Peria, 2005.
"The mix of international bank's foreign claims. Determinants and implications,"
0502, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Herrero, Alicia Garcia & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007. "The mix of international banks' foreign claims: Determinants and implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1613-1631, June.
- Herrero, Alicia Garcia & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005. "The mix of international banks'foreign claims : determinants and implications," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3755, The World Bank.
- Alicia García-Herrero & María Soledad Martínez-Pería, 2005. "The mix of international banks'foreign claims: determinants and implications," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0525, Banco de Espa�a.
- repec:fip:fedfap:2002-09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asl[iota] & Huizinga, Harry, 2001. "How does foreign entry affect domestic banking markets?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 891-911, May.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2000.
"Implications of the globalization of the banking sector: the Latin American experience,"
New England Economic Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 45-62.
- Joe Peek & Eric S. Rosengren, 2000. "Implications of the globalization of the banking sector: the Latin American experience," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, vol. 44(Jun), pages 145-185.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2002.
"When Is U.S. Bank Lending to Emerging Markets Volatile?,"
in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 171-196
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "When is U.S. bank lending to emerging markets volatile?," Staff Reports 119, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2001. "When Is U.S. Bank Lending to Emerging Markets Volatile?," NBER Working Papers 8209, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrica Detragiache & Thierry Tressel & Poonam Gupta, 2008.
"Foreign Banks in Poor Countries: Theory and Evidence,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 63(5), pages 2123-2160, October.
- Enrica Detragiache & Poonam Gupta & Thierry Tressel, 2006. "Foreign Banks in Poor Countries: Theory and Evidence," IMF Working Papers 06/18, International Monetary Fund.
- Papaioannou, Elias, 2005. "What drives international bank flows? Politics, institutions and other determinants," Working Paper Series 0437, European Central Bank.
- Cull, Robert & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007. "Foreign bank participation and crises in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4128, The World Bank.
- Rose, Andrew K & Spiegel, Mark, 2002. "A Gravity Model of International Lending: Trade, Default and Credit," CEPR Discussion Papers 3539, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kalin Tintchev, 2013. "Connected to Whom? International Interbank Borrowing During the Global Crisis," IMF Working Papers 13/14, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:laf:wpaper:201107 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sophie Brana & Delphine Lahet, 2011.
"Foreign Banks and the Stability of Foreign and Domestic Credit in CEECs,"
Larefi Working Papers
1107, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Sophie Brana & Delphine Lahet, 2011. "Foreign banks and the stability of foreign and domestic credit in CEECs," Working Papers hal-00637686, HAL.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2009. "Capital flows and emerging market economies," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 33, January.
- Ghosh, , Swati R. & Sugawara, Naotaka & Zalduendo, Juan, 2011. "Banking flows and financial crisis -- financial interconnectedness and basel III effects," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5769, The World Bank.
- Eugenio Cerutti, 2013. "Banksâ€™ Foreign Credit Exposures and Borrowersâ€™ Rollover Risks Measurement, Evolution and Determinants," IMF Working Papers 13/9, International Monetary Fund.
- Ma, Guonan & McCauley, Robert N., 2013.
"Is China or India more financially open?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 6-27.
- Sophie Brana & Delphine Lahet, 2009. "La Présence De Banques Étrangères En Europe De L'Est : Quels Risques Financiers ?," Working Papers hal-00616580, HAL.
- Alejandro Jara & Ramon Moreno & Camilo E Tovar, 2009. "The global crisis and Latin America: financial impact and policy responses," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- Delphine Lahet, 2009. "Les Banques Étrangères En Asie Du Sud-Est : Le Rôle Des Local Claims," Working Papers hal-00616577, HAL.
- Stefan Afdjiev & Zsolt Kuti & Elod Takáts, 2012. "The euro area crisis and cross-border bank lending to emerging markets," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Caroline Van Rijckeghem & Beatrice Weder di Mauro, 2013. "Financial Deglobalization: Is The World Getting Smaller?," Working Papers 2013/14, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.