Prime or not so prime? An exploration of US housing finance in the new century
AbstractSignificant US house price appreciation in the last few years has greatly helped to enlarge the size and scope of secondary markets for securities backed by non-prime mortgage loans. But while many households now have access to loans which otherwise might not have been available, were housing market conditions to worsen, investors would face new issues in the valuation of mortgage-backed securities and possibly unanticipated risks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank for International Settlements in its journal BIS Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): (March)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- L89 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Other
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nikola Tarashev, 2005. "Structural models of default: lessons from firm-level data," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Diana Hancock & Andreas Lehnert & Wayne Passmore & Shane M. Sherlund, 2005. "An analysis of the potential competitive impacts of Basel II capital standards on U.S. mortgage rates and mortgage securitization," Basel II White Paper 3, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Robert B. Avery & Raphael W. Bostic & Paul S. Calem & Glenn B. Canner, 1996. "Credit risk, credit scoring, and the performance of home mortgages," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Jul, pages 621-648.
- Vladimir Klyuev & Paul S. Mills, 2006.
"Is Housing Wealth An 'ATM'? the Relationship Between Household Wealth, Home Equity withdrawal, and Saving Rates,"
IMF Working Papers
06/162, International Monetary Fund.
- Vladimir Klyuev & Paul Mills, 2007. "Is Housing Wealth an “ATM”? The Relationship Between Household Wealth, Home Equity Withdrawal, and Saving Rates," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 54(3), pages 539-561, July.
- Timothy Bisping & Hilde Patron, 2008. "Residential Investment and Business Cycles in an Open Economy: A Generalized Impulse Response Approach," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 33-49, July.
- Ben Cohen & Eli Remolona, 2008. "The Unfolding Turmoil of 2007–2008: Lessons and Responses," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Paul Bloxham & Christopher Kent (ed.), Lessons from the Financial Turmoil of 2007 and 2008 Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Claudio Borio & Mathias Drehmann & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012.
"Stress-testing macro stress testing: does it live up to expectations?,"
BIS Working Papers
369, Bank for International Settlements.
- Borio, Claudio & Drehmann, Mathias & Tsatsaronis, Kostas, 2014. "Stress-testing macro stress testing: Does it live up to expectations?," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 12(C), pages 3-15.
- Allen B Frankel, 2009. "The risk of relying on reputational capital: a case study of the 2007 failure of New Century Financial," BIS Working Papers 294, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ingo Fender & Martin Scheicher, 2009.
"The pricing of subprime mortgage risk in good times and bad: evidence from the ABX.HE indices,"
BIS Working Papers
279, Bank for International Settlements.
- Ingo Fender & Martin Scheicher, 2009. "The pricing of subprime mortgage risk in good times and bad: evidence from the ABX.HE indices," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(24), pages 1925-1945.
- Gary Gorton, 2008.
"The Panic of 2007,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
amz2372, Yale School of Management.
- Andreas Horsch, 2012. "Managerial Action And Financial Crisis," Polish Journal of Management Studies, Czestochowa Technical University, Department of Management, vol. 5(1), pages 7-33, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Timo Laurmaa).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.