Exports, Investments and Economic Growth: an Empirical Investigation of the Three Baltic Countries
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationship among exports, investments and economic growth, in the three Baltic countries which have recently joined the European Union. The purpose of this paper is to examine the long run relationship between these variables using quarterly data for the period 1992:I-2000:IV and applying the co-integration analysis as suggested by Johansen and Juselious. Then a trivariate autoregressive vector model (VAR) is used to estimate the short and long run relationships of variables of this model. The results of this paper suggested that the exports growth in combination with the increase of investments have a positive effect on the economic growth of the three Baltic countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies in its journal Baltic Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
exports; investment; economic growth; co-integration; Baltic countries;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chow, Peter C. Y., 1987. "Causality between export growth and industrial development : Empirial evidence from the NICs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 55-63, June.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002.
"FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets,"
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004. "FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Jose De Gregorio, 1991.
"Economic Growth in Latin America,"
IMF Working Papers
91/71, International Monetary Fund.
- De Gregorio, Jose, 1992.
"The effects of inflation on economic growth : Lessons from Latin America,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 417-425, April.
- Jose De Gregorio, 1991. "The Effects of Inflation on Economic Growth: Lessons from Latin America," IMF Working Papers 91/95, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lelde Ivankova).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.