What managers think of capital structure and how they act: Evidence from Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper analyzes the capital structure and the choice of financing alternatives across a broad sample of Central and Eastern European companies. Our investigation is built on two methods: the first concentrates on capital structure decisions through quantitive information applying panel regression for the period 2005 - 2008 to allow a closer look at the strenght of the pecking order and static tradeoff theories; and the second extends the analysis with a qualitative questionnaire on the explicit and latent preferences behind financing policy. The same set of randomly selected 498 firms that fairly represent size classes and countries by the weight of their economic performance are investigated. The CFO's answers reflect a pecking order driven behavior; with limited role for the target leverage ratio; this is confirmed by the estimated coefficients of the panel regression.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies in its journal Baltic Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
capital structure; emerging European countries; static tradeoff theory; pecking order theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1994.
"What Do We Know About Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data,"
NBER Working Papers
4875, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1995. " What Do We Know about Capital Structure? Some Evidence from International Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1421-60, December.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, .
"Testing Tradeoff and Pecking Order Predictions about Dividends and Debt.”,"
CRSP working papers
506, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Eugene F. Fama, 2002. "Testing Trade-Off and Pecking Order Predictions About Dividends and Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Berggren, Bjorn & Olofsson, Christer & Silver, Lars, 2000. " Control Aversion and the Search for External Financing in Swedish SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 233-42.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1996.
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5758, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Chen, Jean J., 2004. "Determinants of capital structure of Chinese-listed companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1341-1351, December.
- L. de Haan & J. Hinloopen, 1999.
"Debt or equity? An empirical study of security issues by Dutch companies,"
WO Research Memoranda (discontinued)
577, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- de Haan, Leo & Hinloopen, Jeroen, 2003. "Preference hierarchies for internal finance, bank loans, bond, and share issues: evidence for Dutch firms," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 661-681, December.
- Leo de Haan & Jeroen Hinloopen, 2002. "Ordering the Preference Hierarchies for Internal Finance, Bank Loans, Bond and Share Issues," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-072/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Philippe Gaud & Martin HOesli & André Bender, 2005.
"Debt Equity Choice in Europe,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp152, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Friend, Irwin & Lang, Larry H P, 1988. " An Empirical Test of the Impact of Managerial Self-interest on Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 271-81, June.
- John Hutchinson & Ana Xavier, 2004.
"Comparing the Impact of Credit Constraints on the Growth of SMEs in a Transition Country with an Established Market Economy,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
15004, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- John Hutchinson & Ana Xavier, 2006. "Comparing the Impact of Credit Constraints on the Growth of SMEs in a Transition Country with an Established Market Economy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 169-179, October.
- Mihir Desai & Paul Gompers & Josh Lerner, 2003. "Institutions, Capital Constraints and Entrepreneurial Firm Dynamics: Evidence from Europe," NBER Working Papers 10165, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
- Nivorozhkin, Eugene, 2005. "Financing choices of firms in EU accession countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 138-169, June.
- Björn Berggren & Christer Olofsson & Lars Silver, 2000. "Control Aversion and The Search for External Financing in Swedish SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 233-242, November.
- Eugene NIVOROZHKIN, 2002. "Capital Structures In Emerging Stock Markets: The Case Of Hungary," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 40(2), pages 166-187, 06.
- Mari Avarmaa & Aaro Hazak & Kadri Männasoo, 2011. "Capital structure formation in multinational and local companies in the Baltic States," Baltic Journal of Economics, Baltic International Centre for Economic Policy Studies, vol. 11(1), pages 125-146, July.
- Péter Hernádi & Mihály Ormos, 2012. "Capital structure and its choice in Central and Eastern Europe," Acta Oeconomica, Akadémiai Kiadó, Hungary, vol. 62(2), pages 229-263, June.
- Michaelas, Nicos & Chittenden, Francis & Poutziouris, Panikkos, 1999. " Financial Policy and Capital Structure Choice in U.K. SMEs: Empirical Evidence from Company Panel Data," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 113-30, March.
- Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Vojislav Maksimovic, 1998. "Law, Finance, and Firm Growth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2107-2137, December.
- MatjaÅ¾ Ärnigoj & DuÅ¡an Mramor, 2009. "Determinants of Capital Structure in Emerging European Economies: Evidence from Slovenian Firms," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(1), pages 72-89, January.
- Eugene Nivorozhkin, 2004. "The Dynamics of Capital Structure in Transition Economies," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 25-45, March.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Opler, Tim & Titman, Sheridan, 2001. "The Debt-Equity Choice," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(01), pages 1-24, March.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 2001. "Financial Systems, Industrial Structure, and Growth," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(4), pages 467-482.
- Brounen, Dirk & de Jong, Abe & Koedijk, Kees, 2006. "Capital structure policies in Europe: Survey evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1409-1442, May.
- Chittenden, Francis & Hall, Graham & Hutchinson, Patrick, 1996. " Small Firm Growth, Access to Capital Markets and Financial Structure: Review of Issues and an Empirical Investigation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 59-67, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lelde Ivankova).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.