Regression-Based Unit Root Tests with Recursive Mean Adjustment for Seasonal and Nonseasonal Time Series
AbstractThis article considers tests for (seasonal) unit roots in a univariate time-series process that are similar with respect to both the initial values of the process and the possibility of (differential seasonal) drift under the (seasonal) unit root null. In contrast to existing approaches, the technique of recursive (seasonal) de-meaning and (seasonal) de-trending of the process is adopted. Representations are derived for the limiting distributions of the proposed statistics under the (seasonal) unit root null and under near (seasonal) integration. In the nonseasonal case the asymptotic local power of the proposed test is shown to exceed that of existing tests when the initial observation is drawn from the stationary distribution of the process. The proposed tests also display superior finite sample size and power properties to conventional seasonal unit root tests and variants of such tests constructed using simple symmetric least squares and weighted symmetric least squares estimation.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Durmaz, Nazif, 2012.
"Bias correction and out-of-sample forecast accuracy,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 575-586.
- Hyeongwoo Kim & Nazif Durmaz, 2010. "Bias Correction and Out-of-Sample Forecast Accuracy," Auburn Economics Working Paper Series auwp2010-02, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Durmaz, Nazif, 2009. "Bias Correction and Out-of-Sample Forecast Accuracy," MPRA Paper 16780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Taipalus , Katja, 2012. "Signaling asset price bubbles with time-series methods," Research Discussion Papers 7/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Wolters, Jürgen & Hassler, Uwe, 2005.
"Unit root testing,"
2005/23, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Lee, Hyejin & Meng, Ming & Lee, Junsoo, 2012. "Performance of nonlinear instrumental variable unit root tests using recursive detrending methods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 214-216.
- Stephan Smeekes, 2013.
"Detrending Bootstrap Unit Root Tests,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 869-891, November.
- Stephen Leybourne & Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Newbold, 2005.
"Examination of Some More Powerful Modifications of the Dickey-Fuller Test,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(3), pages 355-369, 05.
- Steve Leybourne & Paul Newbold & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2003. "Examination Of Some More Powerful Modifications Of The Dickey- Fuller Test," Econometrics 0311007, EconWPA.
- Hyeongwoo Kim & Young-Kyu Moh, 2010.
"Examining the Evidence of Purchasing Power Parity by Recursive Mean Adjustment,"
Auburn Economics Working Paper Series
auwp2010-08, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2012. "Examining the evidence of purchasing power parity by recursive mean adjustment," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 1850-1857.
- Kim, Hyeongwoo & Moh, Young-Kyu, 2010. "Examining the Evidence of Purchasing Power Parity by Recursive Mean Adjustment," MPRA Paper 22712, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Taipalus, Katja, 2012. "Detecting asset price bubbles with time-series methods," Scientific Monographs E:47/2012, Bank of Finland.
- Donggyu Sul, 2005. "New Panel Unit Root Tests under Cross Section Dependence for Practitioners," Econometrics 0506010, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.