Estimation for Autoregressive Time Series with a Root Near 1
AbstractEstimators for the parameters of autoregressive time series are compared, emphasizing processes with a unit root or a root close to 1. The approximate bias of the sum of the autoregressive coefficients is expressed as a function of the test for a unit root. This expression is used to construct an estimator that is nearly unbiased for the parameter of the first-order scalar process. The estimator for the first-order process has a mean squared error that is about 40% of that of ordinary least squares for the process with a unit root and a constant mean, and the mean squared error is smaller than that of ordinary least squares for about half of the parameter space. The maximum loss of efficiency is 6n[superscript -1] in the remainder of the parameter space. The estimation procedure is extended to higher-order processes by modifying the estimator of the sum of the autoregressive coefficients. Limiting results are derived for the autoregressive process with a mean that is a linear trend.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kim, Jae H. & Silvapulle, Param & Hyndman, Rob J., 2007.
"Half-life estimation based on the bias-corrected bootstrap: A highest density region approach,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3418-3432, April.
- Jae Kim & Param Silvapulle & Rob J. Hyndman, 2006. "Half-Life Estimation based on the Bias-Corrected Bootstrap: A Highest Density Region Approach," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 11/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Marek Jarocinski & Albert Marcet, 2011.
"Autoregressions in Small Samples, Priors about Observables and Initial Conditions,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1061, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jarociński, Marek & Marcet, Albert, 2010. "Autoregressions in small samples, priors about observables and initial conditions," Working Paper Series 1263, European Central Bank.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Claude Lopez, 2013.
"Unit Roots, Level Shifts, and Trend Breaks in Per Capita Output: A Robust Evaluation,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 892-927, November.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Claude Lopez, 2009. "Unit Roots, Level Shifts and Trend Breaks in Per Capita Output: A Robust Evaluation," Purdue University Economics Working Papers 1227, Purdue University, Department of Economics.
- Mohitosh Kejriwal & Claude Lopez, 2010. "Unit Roots, Level Shifts and Trend Breaks in PerCapita Output: A Robust Evaluation," University of Cincinnati, Economics Working Papers Series 2010-02, University of Cincinnati, Department of Economics.
- Kejriwal , M. & Lopez, C., 2011. "Unit Roots, Level Shifts and Trend Breaks in Per Capita Output: A Robust Evaluation," Working papers 334, Banque de France.
- Kejriwal, Mohitosh & Lopez, Claude, 2010. "Unit Roots, Level Shifts and Trend Breaks in Per Capita Output: A Robust Evaluation," MPRA Paper 25204, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hendrik Kaufmannz & Robinson Kruse, 2013. "Bias-corrected estimation in potentially mildly explosive autoregressive models," CREATES Research Papers 2013-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Lawford, Steve & Stamatogiannis, Michalis P., 2009.
"The finite-sample effects of VAR dimensions on OLS bias, OLS variance, and minimum MSE estimators,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 124-130, February.
- Steve Lawford & Michalis P. Stamatogiannis, 2008. "The Finite-Sample E ects of VAR Dimensions on OLS Bias, OLS Variance, and Minimum MSE Estimators," Working Paper Series 13-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
- Han, Chirok & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Sul, Donggyu, 2011.
"Uniform Asymptotic Normality In Stationary And Unit Root Autoregression,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(06), pages 1117-1151, December.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2010. "Uniform Asymptotic Normality in Stationary and Unit Root Autoregression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1746, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Michael Wolf & Dan Wunderli, 2012. "Bootstrap joint prediction regions," ECON - Working Papers 064, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised May 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.