On the Choice of Functional Forms: Summary of a Monte Carlo Experiment
AbstractThe use of flexible functional forms is a standard practice in applied econometrics. Many flexible forms have been proposed. In this study, the authors investigate the behavior of three of them--the translog, the symmetric McFadden, and the symmetric generalized Barnett. Based on Monte Carlo experiments, they assess the ability of these forms to test theoretical properties and to measure technological characteristics.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dionne, G. & Gane, R. & Vanasse, C., 1995.
"Infessing Technological Parameters from Incomplete Panel Data,"
Cahiers de recherche
9537, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, Georges & Gagne, Robert & Vanasse, Charles, 1998. "Inferring technological parameters from incomplete panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 303-327, September.
- Dionne, G. & Gane, R. & Vanasse, C., 1995. "Infessing Technological Parameters from Incomplete Panel Data," Cahiers de recherche 9537, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Koebel, Bertrand M. & Falk, Martin, 1999. "Curvature conditions and substitution pattern among capital, energy, materials and heterogeneous labour," ZEW Discussion Papers 99-06, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robert Gagne & Carmine Nappi, 2000. "The cost and technological structure of aluminium smelters worldwide," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 417-432.
- Nguyen, Duong T.M. & McLaren, Keith Robert & Zhao, Xueyan, 2008. "Multi-Output Broadacre Agricultural Production: Estimating A Cost Function Using Quasi-Micro Farm Level Data From Australia," 2008 Conference (52nd), February 5-8, 2008, Canberra, Australia 6009, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Koebel, Bertrand M. & Falk, Martin & Laisney, François, 2000. "Imposing and testing curvature conditions on a Box-Cox function," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-70, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Robert G. Chambers & Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Michael Vardanyan, 2008.
"Generalized Quadratic Revenue Functions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2404, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cremieux, Pierre-Yves & Ouellette, Pierre, 2001. "Omitted variable bias and hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 271-282, March.
- Urga, Giovanni & Walters, Chris, 2003. "Dynamic translog and linear logit models: a factor demand analysis of interfuel substitution in US industrial energy demand," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 1-21, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.