A Quality-Adjusted Price Index for Personal Computers
AbstractThis study estimates quality-adjusted price indexes for personal computers. Three separate hedonic models are estimated using data from 1,841 personal computers over the period 1984-91. In addition to the traditional linear model, a nonlinear model is developed and estimated. The nonlinear model is parsimonious in parameters, allows time-varying attribute prices, and can be estimated using a pooled data set. The results indicate that nominal quality-adjusted prices of mail-order firms declined at an average annual rate of 24.62 percent; quality-adjusted prices of major manufacturers declined at a slower rate.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 12 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Paul Chwelos, 2003. "Approaches to performance measurement in hedonic analysis: Price indexes for laptop computers in the 1990's," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 199-224.
- Meijers,Huub & Hollanders,Hugo, 2003. "Sources of Growth: Measuring the Knowledge Based Economy," Research Memoranda 032, Maastricht : MERIT, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology.
- Ludwig Auer, 2007. "Hedonic price measurement: the CCC approach," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 289-311, September.
- Andrés Maroto-Sanchez, 2010. "Growth and productivity in the service sector: The state of the art," Working Papers 07/10, Instituto Universitario de Análisis Económico y Social.
- Moch, Dietmar, 2001. "Price indices for information and communication technology industries: an application to the German PC market," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-20, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Christos Ioannidis & Mick Silver, 2003. "Chained, exact and superlative hedonic price changes: estimates from microdata," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(9), pages 1005-1014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.