Premia in Forward Foreign Exchange as Unobserved Components: A Note
AbstractWe reconsider the signal-extraction approach to measuring premia in the pricing of forward foreign exchange, put forward by Wolff, in which the difference between the forward rate and the associated future spot rate is modeled as an autoregressive moving average (ARMA) model for the risk premium buried in a white-noise forecast error. We point out that an ARMA model for the risk premium is not always identifiable from information on the difference between the forward rate and the future spot rate only. We present solutions to the problem of identification and show how the model for the risk premium can be estimated in a direct way, provided that the identification problem is solved. For reason of comparison, we use the series analyzed by Wolff to estimate the models for risk premia. The results confirm the earlier finding that premia in forward exchange exhibit a certain degree of persistence over time.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1993)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
Other versions of this item:
- Nijman, Theo E. & Palm, Franz C. & Wolff, Christian C.P., 1993. "Premia in forward foreign exchange as unobserved components: a note," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5753, Maastricht University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adrian, Tobias & Etula, Erkko & Groen, Jan J.J., 2011.
"Financial amplification of foreign exchange risk premia,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 354-370, April.
- Tobias Adrian & Erkko Etula & Jan J. J. Groen, 2010. "Financial amplification of foreign exchange risk premia," Staff Reports 461, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Campbell-Pownall, R.A.J. & Koedijk, C.G. & Lothian, J.R. & Mahieu, R.J., 2007. "Irving Fisher and the UIP Puzzle: Meeting the Expectations a Century Later," Research Paper ERS-2007-088-F&A, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Jan J J Groen & Ravi Balakrishnan, 2005.
"Asset price based estimates of sterling exchange rate risk premia,"
Bank of England working papers
250, Bank of England.
- Groen, Jan J.J. & Balakrishnan, Ravi, 2006. "Asset price based estimates of sterling exchange rate risk premia," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 71-92, February.
- Bams, Dennis & Walkowiak, Kim & Wolff, Christian C. P., 2004.
"More evidence on the dollar risk premium in the foreign exchange market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 271-282, March.
- Bams, Dennis & Walkowiak, Kim & Wolff, Christian C, 2003. "More Evidence on the Dollar Risk Premium in the Foreign Exchange Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 3726, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bams, Dennis & Walkowiak, Kim & Wolff, Christian C.P., 2004. "More evidence on the dollar risk premium in the foreign exchange market," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13927, Maastricht University.
- Campbell, Rachel & Koedijk, Kees & Lothian, James R & Mahieu, Ronald J, 2007. "Irving Fisher, Expectational Errors, and the UIP Puzzle," CEPR Discussion Papers 6294, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhiguang Wang & Prasad Bidarkota, 2012. "Risk premia in forward foreign exchange rates: a comparison of signal extraction and regression methods," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 21-51, February.
- Wolff, Christian C. P., 2000.
"Measuring the forward foreign exchange risk premium: multi-country evidence from unobserved components models,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-8, January.
- Wolff, Christian C.P., 2000. "Measuring the forward foreign exchange risk premium: multi-country evidence from unobserved components models," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-13922, Maastricht University.
- Ram Bhar & Carl Chiarella & Toan Pham, 2000. "Modeling the Currency Forward Risk Premium: Theory and Evidence," Research Paper Series 41, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Mun, Kyung-Chun & Morgan, George Emir, 2003. "Risk premia on foreign exchange: a direct approach," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 231-250, July.
- Camiel de Koning & Stefan Straetmans, 1997. "Variation in the Slope Coefficient of the Fama Regression for Testing Uncovered Interest Rate Parity: Evidence from Fixed and Time-varying Coefficient Approaches," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 97-014/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Charles Engel, 1996.
"The Forward Discount Anomaly and the Risk Premium: A Survey of Recent Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
5312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles, 1996. "The forward discount anomaly and the risk premium: A survey of recent evidence," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 123-192, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.