Detecting Level Shifts in Time Series
AbstractThis article demonstrates the difficulty that traditional outlier detection methods, such as that of R. S. Tsay, have in identifying level shifts in time series. Initializing the outlier/level-shift search with an estimated autoregressive moving average model lowers the power of the level-shift detection statisti cs. Furthermore, the rule employed by these methods for distinguishing between level shifts and innovation outliers does not work well in t he presence of level shifts. A simple modification to Tsay's procedure is proposed that improves the ability to correctly identify level shift s. This modification is relatively easy to implement and appears to be quite effective in practice.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 11 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Atkinson, A. C. & Koopman, S. J. & Shephard, N., 1997. "Detecting shocks: Outliers and breaks in time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 387-422, October.
- Junttila, Juha, 2001. "Structural breaks, ARIMA model and Finnish inflation forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 203-230.
- A. C. Harvey & Siem Jan Koopman, 2000.
"Computing Observation Weights for Signal Extraction and Filtering,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0888, Econometric Society.
- Koopman, Siem Jan & Harvey, Andrew, 2003. "Computing observation weights for signal extraction and filtering," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 1317-1333, May.
- F. Javier Trivez & Beatriz Catalan, 2009. "Detecting level shifts in ARMA-GARCH (1,1) Models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 679-697.
- Mira, José & Sánchez, María Jesús, 2004. "Prediction of deterministic functions: an application of a Gaussian kriging model to a time series outlier problem," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 477-491, January.
- M. Angeles Carnero & Daniel Peña & Esther Ruiz, 2004.
"Detecting Level Shifts In The Presence Of Conditional Heteroscedasticity,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
2004-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- M. Angeles Carnero & Daniel Peña & Esther Ruiz, 2003. "Detecting Level Shifts In The Presence Of Conditional Heteroscedasticity," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws036313, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Siem Jan Koopman & Neil Shephard & Jurgen A. Doornik, 1999.
"Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 2(1), pages 107-160.
- Koopman, S.J.M. & Shephard, N. & Doornik, J.A., 1998. "Statistical Algorithms for Models in State Space Using SsfPack 2.2," Discussion Paper 1998-141, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Neil Shephard & Jurgen Doornik & Siem Jan Koopman, 1998. "Statistical algorithms for models in state space using SsfPack 2.2," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andr‚, 1997. "Outlier robust cointegration analysis," Serie Research Memoranda 0045, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Pedro Galeano & Daniel Peña & Ruey S. Tsay, 2004. "Outlier Detection In Multivariate Time Series Via Projection Pursuit," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws044211, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Berlin Wu & Liyang Chen, 2006. "Use of Partial Cumulative Sum to Detect Trends and Change Periods for Nonlinear Time Series," Journal of Economics and Management, College of Business, Feng Chia University, Taiwan, vol. 2(2), pages 123-145, July.
- Kapetanios, G. & Tzavalis, E., 2010. "Modeling structural breaks in economic relationships using large shocks," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 417-436, March.
- Jussi Tolvi, 2001. "Outliers in eleven Finnish macroeconomic time series," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 14-32, Spring.
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2009.
"Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860–1988,"
- Olivier Darné & Amélie Charles, 2011. "Large shocks in U.S. macroeconomic time series: 1860-1988," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 5(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Manuel Salvador & Pilar Gargallo, 2003. "Automatic selective intervention in dynamic linear models," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 30(10), pages 1161-1184.
- Darné, Olivier, 2009. "The uncertain unit root in real GNP: A re-examination," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 153-166, March.
- Olsen, Lena Ringstad & Chaudhuri, Probal & Godtliebsen, Fred, 2008. "Multiscale spectral analysis for detecting short and long range change points in time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3310-3330, March.
- Victor Guerrero, 2005. "Restricted estimation of an adjusted time series: application to Mexico's industrial production index," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 157-177.
- Marco BIANCHI, . "A simple and fast method of regime shifts detection based on kernel density estimation," Statistic und Oekonometrie 9316, Humboldt Universitaet Berlin.
- Zeileis, Achim & Kleiber, Christian & Kramer, Walter & Hornik, Kurt, 2003. "Testing and dating of structural changes in practice," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 109-123, October.
- Beatriz Catalan & F. Javier Trivez, 2007. "Forecasting volatility in GARCH models with additive outliers," Quantitative Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 7(6), pages 591-596.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.