Using the Flow of High Frequency Information for Short Term Forecasting of Economic Activity in Argentina
AbstractWe exploit the richness of a large data set of daily and monthly business cycle indicators by pooling them to produce Nowcast of contemporaneous real GDP growth. We conduct predictions based on a pooling of bivariate forecasts which uses these indicators as predictors of GDP (Nowcast with pooling). We also conduct a Nowcast exercise with factors for a restricted subset of business cycle indicators. When comparing the predictive accuracy of Nowcast with pooling and with factors with that of an AR(1) model, only the Nowcast with pooling outperforms the AR(1), indicating that the use of information released within the quarter helps to improve GDP growth prediction. The methodology then offers an encouraging and valuable approach to provide timely information for policy decision making.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department in its journal Ensayos Económicos.
Volume (Year): 1 (2011)
Issue (Month): 64 (October - December)
forecast pooling; forecast using a large dataset; nowcast; factor models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boivin, Jean & Ng, Serena, 2006.
"Are more data always better for factor analysis?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 169-194, May.
- Kenneth D. West & Todd Clark, 2006.
"Approximately Normal Tests for Equal Predictive Accuracy in Nested Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clark, Todd E. & West, Kenneth D., 2007. "Approximately normal tests for equal predictive accuracy in nested models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 291-311, May.
- Todd E. Clark & Kenneth D. West, 2005. "Approximately normal tests for equal predictive accuracy in nested models," Research Working Paper RWP 05-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Croushore, Dean, 2006. "Forecasting with Real-Time Macroeconomic Data," Handbook of Economic Forecasting, Elsevier.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Drechsel, Katja & Maurin, Laurent, 2008.
"Flow of conjunctural information and forecast of euro area economic activity,"
Working Paper Series
0925, European Central Bank.
- Katja Drechsel & Laurent Maurin, 2011. "Flow of conjunctural information and forecast of euro area economic activity," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(3), pages 336-354, April.
- Laura D´Amato & Lorena Garegnani & Emilio Blanco, 2008. "Forecasting Inflation in Argentina: Individual Models or Forecast Pooling?," BCRA Working Paper Series 200835, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
- Deicy J. Cristiano & Manuel D. Hernández & José David Pulido, 2012.
"Pronósticos de corto plazo en tiempo real para la actividad económica colombiana,"
Borradores de Economia
724, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Deicy J. Cristiano & Manuel D. Hernández & José David Pulido, 2012. "Pronósticos de corto plazo en tiempo real para la actividad económica colombiana," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 009827, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Grillo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.