Monetary Space in Latin America: A Criterion to Regime Selection
AbstractThis paper deals with a theoretical and empirical approach to analyze the selection of exchange rate/monetary regimes in emerging economies based on the “monetary space”, i.e. the framework where monetary policy should be developed. In turn, the monetary space was defined on the basis of four axes: fiscal dominance, external dominance, financial dominance and the size of the financial system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department in its journal Ensayos Económicos.
Volume (Year): 1 (2007)
Issue (Month): 48 (July - September)
emerging economies; exchange rate and monetary regimen; financial assets sustituibility; financial dominance; financial system size; fiscal dominance; monetary policy; monetary space;
Other versions of this item:
- Eduardo Ariel Corso, 2007. "Monetary Space in Latin America: A Criterion to Regime Selection," BCRA Working Paper Series 200727, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department.
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Bofinger & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2003. "Managed Floating as a Monetary Policy Strategy," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 81-109, June.
- Tsiang, S C, 1975. "The Dynamics of International Capital Flows and Internal and External Balance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 195-214, May.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1982. "The exchange rate in a portfolio balance model with a banking sector," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 225-239, January.
- Tobin, James, 1970. "Deposit Interest Ceilings as a Monetary Control," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 2(1), pages 4-14, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Grillo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.