Markets for Government of Canada Securities in the 1990s: Liquidity and Cross-CountryComparisons
AbstractIn this article, the author reviews the factors behind the recent evolution of liquidity in the market for Government of Canada (GoC) securities. He finds that liquidity has been supported by changes in the structure of the market, notably the introduction and increasing size of benchmark bond issues. He also notes that while the GoC bond market has generally benefited from changes in market structure, liquidity in the treasury bill market has decreased since the mid-1990s, largely because of the declining supply of these securities. This article also presents some comparisons of liquidity in the government securities markets of other industrialized countries and finds that liquidity in the Canadian market appears to compare favourably with all but the large U.S. Treasury market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank of Canada in its journal Bank of Canada Review.
Volume (Year): 1999 (1999)
Issue (Month): Autumn ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 234 Wellington Street, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0G9, Canada
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chris D'Souza & Alexandra Lai, 2002.
"The effects of bank consolidation on risk capital allocation and market liquidity,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 86-109
Bank for International Settlements.
- Chris D'Souza & Alexandra Lai, 2006. "The Effects Of Bank Consolidation On Risk Capital Allocation And Market Liquidity," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 271-291.
- Chris D'Souza & Alexandra Lai, 2002. "The Effects of Bank Consolidation on Risk Capital Allocation and Market Liquidity," Working Papers 02-5, Bank of Canada.
- Stuart Landon, 2009.
"The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2009_20, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Landon, Stuart, 2009. "The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(12), pages 2175-2184, December.
- Landon, Stuart, 2009. "The capitalization of taxes in bond prices: Evidence from the market for Government of Canada bonds," MPRA Paper 15467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.