Effects of Microfinance on Micro and Small Enterprises (MSEs) Growth in Nigeria
AbstractThis paper investigates the effects of microfinance on micro and small business growth in Nigeria. The objectives are: one, to examine the effects of different loan administration practices (in terms of loan size and tenor) on small business growth criteria. Second, to examine the ability of Microfinance-Banks (MFBs) (given its loan-size and rates of interest charged) towards transforming micro-businesses to formal small scale enterprises. The paper employed panel data and multiple regression analysis to analyze a survey of 502 randomly selected enterprises finance by microfinance banks in Nigeria. We find strong evidence that access to microfinance does not enhance growth of micro and small enterprises in Nigeria. However, other firm level characteristics such as business size and business location, are found to have positive effect on enterprise growth. The paper recommends a recapitalization of the Microfinance banks to enhance their capacity to support small business growth and expansion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Asian Economic and Social Society in its journal Asian Economic and Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Sadeeq Block, Near Fawara Chowk, Abbasia Town, Rahim Yar Khan - 64200, Punjab, Pakistan
Web page: http://www.aessweb.com/
Small Firms; Micro firms; Entrepreneurship; Microfinance; Regression Analysis; Nigeria;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2002.
"Ethnicity and Networks in African Trade,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2002-20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Kolvereid, Lars, 1992. "Growth aspirations among Norwegian entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 209-222, May.
- Sleuwaegen, Leo & Goedhuys, Micheline, 2002. "Growth of firms in developing countries, evidence from Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 117-135, June.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Dana Lup, 2003.
"What Makes Small Firms Grow? Finance, Human Capital, Technical Assistance, and the Business Environment in Romania,"
Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles
03-94, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Brown, J David & Earle, John S & Lup, Dana, 2005. "What Makes Small Firms Grow? Finance, Human Capital, Technical Assistance, and the Business Environment in Romania," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(1), pages 33-70, October.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Dana Lup, 2004. "What Makes Small Firms Grow? Finance, Human Capital, Technical Assistance, and the Business Environment in Romania," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-702, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- J. David Brown & John Earle & Dana Lup, 2004. "What Makes Small Firms Grow? Finance, Human Capital, Technical Assistance and the Business Environment in Romania," CERT Discussion Papers 0405, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- J. David Brown & John S. Earle & Dana Lup, . "What Makes Small Firms Grow? Finance, Human Capital, Technical Assistance, and the Business Environment in Romania," Upjohn Working Papers and Journal Articles jse20052, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research.
- Brown, J. David & Earle, John S. & Lup, Dana, 2004. "What Makes Small Firms Grow? Finance, Human Capital, Technical Assistance, and the Business Environment in Romania," IZA Discussion Papers 1343, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Gimeno-Gascon, F. Javier & Woo, Carolyn Y., 1994. "Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 371-395, September.
- Frazer, Garth, 2006. "Learning the master's trade: Apprenticeship and human capital in Ghana," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 259-298, December.
- Masakure, Oliver & Cranfield, John & Henson, Spencer, 2008. "The Financial Performance of Non-farm Microenterprises in Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2733-2762, December.
- Daniels, Lisa & Mead, Donald C, 1998. "The Contribution of Small Enterprises to Household and National Income in Kenya," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 45-71, October.
- Marcel Fafchamps, 2004. "Market Institutions in Sub-Saharan Africa: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262062364, January.
- Karine Chapelle & Patrick Plane, 2005. "Technical efficiency measurement within the manufacturing sector in Cote d'Ivoire: A stochastic frontier approach," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(7), pages 1303-1324.
- Bigsten Arne & Collier Paul & Dercon Stefan & Fafchamps Marcel & Gauthier Bernard & Gunning Jan Willem & Oostendorp Remco & Pattillo Catherine & Söderbom Måns & Teal Francis, 2005. "Adjustment Costs and Irreversibility as Determinants of Investment: Evidence from African Manufacturing," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-29, October.
- Lisa Daniels, 2003. "Factors that influence the expansion of the microenterprise sector: results from three national surveys in Zimbabwe," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(6), pages 675-692.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni, 2001. "Agricultural markets in Benin and Malawi : the operation and performance of traders," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2734, The World Bank.
- George Kwadwo Anane & Patrick Brandful Cobbinah & Job Kwame Manu, 2013. "Sustainability of Small and Medium Scale Enterprises in Rural Ghana: The Role of Microfinance Institutions," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(8), pages 1003-1017, August.
- Ayi Gavriel Ayayi, 2012. "Microfinance: A Time to Deliberate," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 2(3), pages 445-447, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Asian Economic and Social Society).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.