Efficiency and productivity in banks developed through Data Envelopment Analysis: a cross country-perspective
AbstractThe paper analyzes the efficiency and productivity of the most important banking system from 2006-08 and tries to address the long-term challenges posed by the global financial crisis. A non-parametric frontier analysis (DEA) is applied to estimate the relative efficiency of banks segments in six industrial countries. A Malmquist decomposition is then carried out in order to separate efficiency change from technical change. Based on a large sample of banks, our findings reveal that banking efficiency has decreased since 2007. If in 2006 eight of the 13 banking sectors included in the study were situated on the efficiency frontier, in 2008 only three of them succeeded in reaching this frontier. In what concerns the productivity we observe an obvious tendency of aggravation. Therefore this index knew a decrease of 9.1% in 2007 in comparison with 2006 and it also continued to decrease in 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its journal Finance - Challenges of the Future.
Volume (Year): 1 (2009)
Issue (Month): 10 (December)
bank performance; cost efficiency; productivity; data envelopment analysis; Malmquist Index;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elena Loukoianova, 2008. "Analysis of the Efficiency and Profitability of the Japanese Banking System," IMF Working Papers 08/63, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alina Manta).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.