Public Debt Developments In Eu Member States: Challenges And Solutions
AbstractOn the background of the global crisis, public debt rapidly accumulated in many countries, in- cluding from European Union. After an overview of these developments and of the specific factors that generated them, the paper aims to highlight the implications of increasing public debt levels, pointing out the particularities arising from the specific context of EU countries. Finally, the paper deals with the potential solutions suggested in the literature for reducing public debt levels and studies the possi- bilities for applying them in affected EU member states. Our main conclusion is that public debt is on an unsustainable path in many developed EU member states, which calls for important public debt reductions that could be acquired, in the absence of other viable solutions, mainly by promoting budget surpluses and redeeming public debt. Also, we suggest that the European legal framework should be reconsidered to ensure better public authorities’ compliance with the requirements of sound public finances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration in its journal Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi.
Volume (Year): 2011SE (2011)
Issue (Month): (july)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitatea Al. I. Cuza; B-dul Carol I nr. 22; Iasi
Phone: 004 0232 201070
Fax: 004 0232 217000
Web page: http://anale.feaa.uaic.ro/anale/
More information through EDIRC
public debt; economic crisis; European Union; economic growth; budgetary consolidation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H62 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Deficit; Surplus
- H63 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt - - - Debt; Debt Management; Sovereign Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Powers, Mark J, 1970. "Does Futures Trading Reduce Price Fluctuations in the Cash Markets?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 460-64, June.
- Charupat, Narat, 2006. "The effect of derivative trading on the underlying markets: Evidence from Canadian instalment receipts trading," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 276-293.
- Fedenia, Mark & Grammatikos, Theoharry, 1992. "Options Trading and the Bid-Ask Spread of the Underlying Stocks," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65(3), pages 335-51, July.
- Daly, Kevin, 2008. "Financial volatility: Issues and measuring techniques," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(11), pages 2377-2393.
- Cushman, David O., 1983. "The effects of real exchange rate risk on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 45-63, August.
- Kasman, Adnan & Kasman, Saadet, 2008. "The impact of futures trading on volatility of the underlying asset in the Turkish stock market," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2837-2845.
- Stein, Jeremy C., 1987.
"Informational Externalities and Welfare-Reducing Speculation,"
3660740, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Stein, Jeremy C, 1987. "Informational Externalities and Welfare-Reducing Speculation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1123-45, December.
- Figlewski, Stephen, 1981. "Futures Trading and Volatility in the GNMA Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 445-56, May.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Dennis, Steven A. & Sim, Ah Boon, 1999. "Share price volatility with the introduction of individual share futures on the Sydney Futures Exchange," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 153-163, June.
- Ghulam Sarwar, 2005. "The Informational Role of Option Trading Volume in Equity Index Options Markets," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 159-176, January.
- Skinner, Douglas J., 1989. "Options markets and stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 61-78, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sireteanu Napoleon-Alexandru).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.