Implications Of Increased Regional Concentration And Oligopsonistic Coordination In The Beef Packing Industry
AbstractThis article proposes an oligopsony pricing model for projecting the effects of increased concentration or oligopsonistic coordination in beef packing using simulation methods. The model combines an explicit behavioral theory of packing firms with an attempt to respect the regional scope of cattle procurement markets. Our results indicate less danger of falling cattle prices, as a results of increase packer concentration or coordination, than do results from conventional econometric studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 16 (1991)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Other versions of this item:
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1991. "Implications of Increased Regional Concentration and Oligopsonistic Coordination in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers 11109, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. M. Azzam & E. Pagoulatos, 1990. "Testing Oligopolistic And Oligopsonistic Behaviour: An Application To The Us Meat-Packing Industry," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 362-370.
- Schroeter, John R, 1988.
"Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 158-62, February.
- Schroeter, John R., 1988. "Estimating the Degree of Market Power in the Beef Packing Industry," Staff General Research Papers 11114, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Schroeter, John R. & Azzam, Azzeddine M., 1990. "Measuring Market Power in Multi-Product Oligopolies: The U.S. Meat Industry," Staff General Research Papers 11112, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1988. "In Pursuit of Monopoly Power: Recent Quantitative Work in Industrial Economics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 3(2), pages 107-23, April.
- Clarke, Roger & Davies, Stephen W, 1982. "Market Structure and Price-Cost Margins," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 49(195), pages 277-87, August.
- Dickson, V. A. & Yu, Weiqiu, 1989. "Welfare losses in Canadian manufacturing under alternative oligopoly regimes," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 257-267, June.
- Johnson, D. Gale & Connor, John M. & Josling, Timothy E. & Schmitz, Andrew & Schuh, G. Edward, 1989. "Concentration Issues In The U.S. Beef Subsector," Working Papers 115907, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Steiner, Bodo E., 2007. "Formal beef alliances and alignment challenges: issues in contracting, pricing and quality," Project Report Series 7709, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Marion, Bruce W. & Geithman, Frederick E., 1994. "Concentration-Price Relations in Regional Fed Cattle Markets," Research Reports 25213, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Koontz, Stephen R. & Garcia, Philip, 1997. "Meat-Packer Conduct In Fed Cattle Pricing: Multiple-Market Oligopsony Power," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
- Azzam, Azzeddine M. & Salvador, Santiago, 2004. "Information pooling and collusion: an empirical analysis," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 275-286, June.
- Richards, Timothy J. & Patterson, Paul M. & van Ispelen, Pieter, 1998. "Modeling Fresh Tomato Marketing Margins: Econometrics And Neural Networks," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 27(2), October.
- Suzuki, Nobuhiro & Kaiser, Harry M. & Lenz, John E. & Forker, Olan D., 1993. "Evaluating U.S. Generic Milk Advertising Effectiveness Using An Imperfect Competition Model," Research Bulletins 123015, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Love, H. Alan & Capps, Oral, Jr. & Williams, Gary W., 2009. "Concentration in Beef Packing and Slaughter Cattle Pricing," Reports 90493, Texas A&M University, Agribusiness, Food, and Consumer Economics Research Center.
- Love, H. Alan & Burton, Diana M., 1999. "A Strategic Rationale For Captive Supplies," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(01), July.
- Cai, Xiaowei & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Koontz, Stephen R., 2009. "Oligopsony Power: Evidence from the U.S. Beef Packing Industry," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49364, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Ronchi, Loraine, 2006. "Fairtrade and market failures in agricultural commodity markets," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4011, The World Bank.
- Panagiotou, Dimitrios, 2005. "Cointegration, Error Correction, And The Measurement Of Oligopsony Conduct In The U.S. Cattle Market," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19201, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J., 2000. "Optimal Commodity Promotion In Imperfectly Competitive Markets," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21823, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Muth, Mary K. & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 1998. "A Model Of Imperfect Competition Using Marginal Input And Output Prices: Application To The Beef Packing Industry," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20853, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Xia, Yin & Buccola, Steven T., 2000. "Technological Performance In Meat Processing And Implications For Policy," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21862, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Love, H. Alan & Williams, Gary W. & Adams, Wendi L., 1999. "Examining Packer Choice Of Slaughter Cattle Procurment And Pricing Methods," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 28(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.