Dynamics Of Regional Fed Cattle Prices
AbstractThe dynamic relationship between four regional cash prices for fed (slaughter) cattle is investigated using time series analysis and causality tests. The results indicate that price adjustments to new information take about one week. Texas Panhandle price also was determined to dominate the price discovery process. Regional prices also were found to be interdependent. This suggests that increasing regional meat packer concentration may not grant meat packers increased regional market power in their pricing practices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1985)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Demand and Price Analysis; Livestock Production/Industries;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin A., 1982.
"Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7d48x9qc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1977. "Martingale, market efficiency and commodity prices," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-17.
- Brorsen, B Wade & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Grant, Warren R, 1985. "A Dynamic Analysis of Prices in the U.S. Rice Marketing Channel," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 362-69, October.
- Geweke, John & Meese, Richard & Dent, Warren, 1983. "Comparing alternative tests of causality in temporal systems : Analytic results and experimental evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 161-194, February.
- TjOstheim, Dag, 1981. "Granger-causality in multiple time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 157-176, November.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1990. "Regional Fed Cattle Price Dynamics," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L. & Tonsor, Glynn T., 2011. "Impact of Mandatory Price Reporting on Hog Market Integration," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 43(02), May.
- Williams, Christine H. & Bewley, Ronald A., 1993. "Price Arbitrage Between Queensland Cattle Auctions," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 37(01), April.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Hudson, Michael A. & Garcia, Philip, 1988. "Identifying Causal Relationships Between Nonstationary Stochastic Processes: An Examination Of Alternative Approaches In Small Samples," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(02), December.
- Bailey, DeeVon & Brorsen, B. Wade, 1989. "Price Asymmetry In Spatial Fed Cattle Markets," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(02), December.
- Pendell, Dustin L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2006. "Impact of Mandatory Price Reporting on Fed Cattle Market Integration," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Kesavan, T. & Aradhyula, Satheesh V. & Johnson, Stanley R., 1992. "Dynamics And Price Volatility In Farm-Retail Livestock Price Relationships," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 17(02), December.
- Schroeder, Ted C., 1997. "Fed Cattle Spatial Transactions Price Relationships," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), December.
- Walburger, Allan M. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1997. "Assessing The Relationship Between Market Factors And Regional Price Dynamics In U.S. Cattle Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 22(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.