Research On Futures Markets: Issues, Approaches, And Empirical Findings
AbstractThis paper presents a brief assessment of the recent futures and options literature with reference only to agricultural markets. The discussion centers on the marketsÂ’ social value and economic value to firms. Issues currently unresolved are highlighted, in some cases by presenting hypotheses contrary to standard positions. Overall, the current literature describes these markets as having positive social value and serving useful functions at the firm level, but existing theory and empirical methods are criticized for many weaknesses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (1989)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blank, Steven C., 1984.
"Cross Hedging Australian Cattle,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(02-03).
- Steven C. Blank, 1984. "Cross Hedging Australian Cattle," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 28(2-3), pages 153-162, 08-12.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin A., 1982.
"Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt7d48x9qc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Marcus, Alan J, 1984. "Efficient Asset Portfolios and the Theory of Normal Backwardation: A Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(1), pages 162-64, February.
- Peterson, Paul E. & Leuthold, Raymond M., 1982. "Using Mechanical Trading Systems To Evaluate The Weak Form Efficiency Of Futures Markets," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 14(01), July.
- Garcia, Philip & Hudson, Michael A. & Waller, Mark L., 1988. "The Pricing Efficiency Of Agricultural Futures Markets: An Analysis Of Previous Research Results," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Chavas, Jean-Paul & Pope, Rulon D., 1982. "Hedging And Production Decisions Under A Linear Mean-Variance Preference Function," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 7(01), July.
- Tomek, William G., 1996. "Commodity Futures Prices As Forecasts," Working Papers 127901, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Carter, Colin A., 1999. "Commodity futures markets: a survey," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(2).
- Elfakhani, Said & Wionzek, Ritchie J., 1997. "Intermarket spread opportunities between Canadian and American agricultural futures," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 361-377.
- Novak, Frank S. & Viney, Bruce, 1995. "Alternative Pricing and Delivery Strategies for Alberta Cattle Feeders," Project Report Series 24044, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.