Portfolio Selection Under Exponential And Quadratic Utility
AbstractThe production or marketing portfolio that is optimal under the assumption of quadratic utility may or may not be optimal under the assumption of exponential utility. In certain cases, the necessary and sufficient condition for an identical solution is that absolute risk aversion coefficients associated with the two utility functions be the same. In other cases, equality of risk aversion coefficients is a sufficient condition only. A comparison is made between use of exponential and quadratic utility in the analysis of a California farmerÂ’s marketing problem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 07 (1982)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora & Levy, Haim, 1970. "Efficient Portfolio Selection with Quadratic and Cubic Utility," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 181-89, April.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Zuhair, Sugu M. M. & Taylor, Daniel B. & Kramer, Randall A., 1992.
"Choice of utility function form: its effect on classification of risk preferences and the prediction of farmer decisions,"
Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 333-344, April.
- Zuhair, Sugu M.M. & Taylor, Daniel B. & Kramer, Randall A., 1992. "Choice of utility function form: its effect on classification of risk preferences and the prediction of farmer decisions," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(4), April.
- Feinerman, Eli & Shani, Y. & Bresler, E., 1989. "Economic Optimisation Of Sprinkler Irrigation Considering Uncertainty Of Spatial Water Distribution," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 33(02), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.