Price Determination In The U.S. Shrimp Market
AbstractThe monthly and quarterly price determination processes for 31-40 and 21-25 size classes of raw-headless shrimp were examined to determine price leadership between market levels. Causal relationships were assessed using Haugh-Pierce, Sims, and Granger methods. Price models at the retail, wholesale, and exvessel market levels were estimated. Economic factors analyzed were income, prices of competing products, landings and imports of raw headless shrimp, total retail supply, beginning stocks, and marketing costs. Monthly prices generally exhibited unidirectional causality from exvessel to retail price. Quarterly prices were determined interdependently among market levels. Price responses between market levels were found to by symmetric with beginning stocks, landings, and imports of own-size shrimp the most important determinants of price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 19 (1987)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spreen, Thomas H. & Shonkwiler, John Scott, 1981. "Causal Relationships In The Fed Cattle Market," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Mukherjee, Zinnia & Segerson, Kathleen, 2011. "Turtle Excluder Device Regulation and Shrimp Harvest: The Role of Behavioral and Market Responses," Marine Resource Economics, Marine Resources Foundation, vol. 26(3).
- Zhou, Xia (Vivian) & Shaik, Saleem, 2008. "Demand Analysis for Shrimp in the United States," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6524, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Riechers, Robin & Hinson, Roger A., 1988. "Price Relationships Between Regionally Important Fresh Vegetable Markets," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 19(2), September.
- Diop, Hamady & Harrison, R. Wes & Keithly, Walter R., Jr., 1999. "Impact Of Increasing Imports On The United States Southeastern Region Shrimp Processing Industry 1973-1996," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21647, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.