Market Structure And Spatial Price Dynamics
AbstractA method was developed with time series models to test hypotheses about the relationship between market structure and spatial price dynamics. Long-run dynamic multipliers measuring the magnitude of lagged adjustments for spatial milled rice prices were calculated from the time series model and used as the dependent variable in a regression model that included a number of factors expected to influence price determination. Results show that price adjustments were slower as regional submarket concentration increased and were faster in the regions with a higher market share. Arkansas, the state with the largest market share, was consistently a price leader
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (1991)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
Demand and Price Analysis; Industrial Organization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geweke, John, 1984. "Inference and causality in economic time series models," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 19, pages 1101-1144 Elsevier.
- Brorsen, B Wade & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Grant, Warren R, 1985. "A Dynamic Analysis of Prices in the U.S. Rice Marketing Channel," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 362-69, October.
- Ginsburgh, Victor & Michel, Philippe, 1988.
"Adjustment Costs, Concentration and Price Behaviour,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 477-81, June.
- GINSBURGH, Victor & MICHEL, Philippe, . "Adjustment costs, concentration and price behaviour," CORE Discussion Papers RP -849, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Victor Ginsburgh & Philippe Michel, 1988. "Adjustment costs, concentration and price behaviour," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/1739, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Carlton, Dennis W, 1986.
"The Rigidity of Prices,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 637-58, September.
- Dixon, R J, 1983. "Industry Structure and the Speed of Price Adjustment," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 25-37, September.
- Schroeder, Ted C. & Goodwin, Barry K., 1990. "Regional Fed Cattle Price Dynamics," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Bedrossian, Arakel & Moschos, Demetrios, 1988. "Industrial Structure, Concentration and the Speed of Price Adjustment," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(4), pages 459-76, June.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1977. "Martingale, market efficiency and commodity prices," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 1-17.
- Schwartz, Lisa A. & Willett, Lois Schertz, 1994. "Price Transmission Theory And Applications To Agroindustry: An Annotated Bibliography," Research Bulletins 123003, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.