Economic Growth, Comparative Advantage and Agricultural Trade of Pacific Rim Countries
AbstractWhile agriculture's contribution to national output and employment tends to decline with economic growth, its contribution to exports need not. Neoclassical theory suggests that a country's comparative advantage in agriculture depends on its endowment of agricultural land relative to mineral resources and nonfarm capital, compared with endowment ratios in other countries. Over time, a country's agricultural comparative advantage will decline faster, the faster its mineral extraction, its growth in nonfarm capital per worker and its rates of nonfarm relative to farm technological change, again compared with other countries. Empirical support for this theory is provided by evidence from the diverse set of economies on the Pacific rim. The paper concludes with a discussion of likely future trends in comparative advantage and agricultural trade of Pacific rim countries, particularly Australia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its journal Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 51 (1983)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Corden, W M, 1982. "Exchange Rate Policy and the Resources Boom," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 58(160), pages 18-31, March.
- Anderson, Kym, 1983. "Growth of agricultural protection in East Asia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 327-336, November.
- Tyers, Rodney & Anderson, Kym, 1985. "Price, Trade and Welfare Effects of Agricultural Protection: The Case of East Asia," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 53(03), December.
- Anders Akerman & Anna Larsson & Alireza Naghavi, 2011.
"Autocracies and Development in a Global Economy: A Tale of Two Elites,"
2011.65, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- A. Akerman & A. Larsson & A. Naghavi, 2011. "Autocracies and Development in a Global Economy: A Tale of Two Elites," Working Papers wp775, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Anders Akerman & Anna Larsson & Alireza Naghavi, 2011. "Autocracies and Development in a Global Economy: A Tale of Two Elites," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 065, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Akerman, Anders & Larsson, Anna & Naghavi, Alireza, 2011. "Autocracies and Development in a Global Economy: A Tale of Two Elites," Research Papers in Economics 2011:24, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Anders Akerman & Anna Larsson & Alireza Naghavi, 2011. "Autocracies and Development in a Global Economy: A Tale of Two Elites," DEGIT Conference Papers c016_041, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Kym Anderson & Young-il Park, 1989.
"China and the international relocation of world textile and clothing activity,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 125(1), pages 129-148, March.
- Kym Anderson & Young-Il Park, 1988. "China and the International Relocation of World Textile and Clothing Activity," School of Economics Working Papers 1988-06, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- Fan, Shenggen & Wailes, Eric & Cramer, Gail, 1994.
"Impact of eliminating government interventions on China's rice sector,"
Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 71-81, September.
- Fan, Shenggen & Wailes, Eric & Cramer, Gail, 1994. "Impact of eliminating government interventions on China's rice sector," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 11(1), September.
- Anderson, Kym, 1990. "China's Economic Growth, Changing Comparative Advantages and Agricultural Trade," Review of Marketing and Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 58(01), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.