The Agricultural and the External (Net Barter) Terms of Trade in Bangladesh: Trends, Movements and Relationships, 1952-2006
AbstractThis paper analyses the trends and movements of, and the relationship between, the agricultural and the external (net barter) terms of trade in Bangladesh for the period 1952-2006. The Pesaran bounds testing results suggest the presence of a cointegral relationship between the agricultural and the external terms of trade in Bangladesh. The forecasting ability of the error-correction model of the agricultural terms of trade is highly, satisfactory, irrespective of whether the level or the percentage change in the agricultural terms of trade is being forecasted. The overall results suggest that the agricultural terms of trade in Bangladesh is determined endogenously and does not seem to have been deployed by policy makers to â€˜squeeze agricultureâ€™ within an import-substituting strategy of development that has effectively ended in this country since the mid-1980s.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Review of Applied Economics in its journal Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lincoln.ac.nz/story11874.html
agriculture; terms-of-trade; cointegration; International Relations/Trade; C22; O24; Q11;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- O24 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Trade Policy; Factor Movement; Foreign Exchange Policy
- Q11 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Aggregate Supply and Demand Analysis; Prices
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ronald Soligo, 1967. "Monetary Problems of Pakistan," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 635.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Tom Doan, . "KPSS: RATS procedure to perform KPSS (Kwiatowski, Phillips, Schmidt, and Shin) stationarity test," Statistical Software Components RTS00100, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Shin, Y., 1993.
"Cointegration and Speed of Convergence to Equilibrium,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9311, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1996. "Cointegration and speed of convergence to equilibrium," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 117-143.
- Stephen R. Lewis, Jr. & S. Mushtaq Hussain, 1966. "Relative Price Changes and Industrialization in Pakistan 1951 - 1964," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 6(3), pages 408-431.
- Akhand Akhtar Hossain, 2008. "Responses of Agricultural Prices, Industrial Prices and the Agricultural Terms of Trade to Money Supply Shocks in Bangladesh, 1973M1-2006M6," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 43(1), pages 287-314, December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.