Explaining Truck Rate Variations for Produce Shipped to the Northeast
AbstractModels are developed to examine the determinants of weekly truck rates for produce shipped to the Northeast from California and Florida. ln the empirical work, a large proportion of the variation in rates is explained and the estimated parameters are generally consistent with a priori expectations. The total quantity of produce shipped from each state, the proportion of this total which is compatible with the commodity in question, and the F.O .B. price if the commodity were found to be the most important determinants of truck rate levels. Fuel costs have a surprisingly weak influence, at least in the short run, and for Florida origin commodities the truck rate-fuel cost relationship appears to have weakened over the 1979-1983 sample period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association in its journal Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1984)
Issue (Month): 1: (April)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christensen, Robert L., 1982. "Some Factors Affecting the Future of Beef Production in New England," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 11(1:).
- Miklius, Walter, 1967. "Estimating the Demand for Truck and Rail Transportation: A Case Study of California Lettuce," Agricultural Economics Research, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, issue 2.
- Dunn, James W., 1981. "The Effect of Higher Energy Prices on the Competitive Position of Northeast Agriculture," Northeastern Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 10(2:), October.
- Beilock, Richard & Shonkwiler, John Scott, 1983. "Modeling Weekly Truck Rates For Perishables," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 15(01), July.
- Johnson, Marc A., 1981. "Current And Developing Issues In Interregional Competition And Agricultural Transportation," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- De Vany, Arthur S & Saving, Thomas R, 1977. "Product Quality, Uncertainty, and Regulation: The Trucking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 583-94, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.